Thread: exporting animation NavisWorks Manage 2009

Login to Give a bone

Default exporting animation NavisWorks Manage 2009

I have created a viewpoint animation and all looks good when I view the animation in Navisworks Manage 2009. I wanted to export to .avi format for presentation. I think I am following the instructions correctly when I go file, export, animation, I select current animation as the source (I have that selected in viewpoints), I select presenter for renderer(or open GL with same result), and the output as windows avi. When I hit save there is about 30 seconds where there is a window showing Preprocessing...., then nothing. If I go to the saved file there is a small .avi (101 KB) and it just shows the first frame sputtering. It never recorded the animation. Any ideas to get this exported effectively are appreciated. Presentation is Monday.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: exporting animation NavisWorks Manage 2009

You need to let the renderer finish. Sometimes, especially with using presenter, the rendering process is slow. I would start your rendering now if your presentation is on Monday.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: exporting animation NavisWorks Manage 2009

I found a previous AUGI post where someone recommended creating a new empty animation and moving the viewpoints into the new animation. For some reason that works. I have been hung up a couple of times with the same issue noted in the original post, but if I just create a new animation and transfer the viewpoints I am able to proceed. As far as the tip to give time to render, that is right on. It took 10hrs to render a walkthrough movie that was less than 2 minutes and that using a 6 fps setting which is relatively low!

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: exporting animation NavisWorks Manage 2009

Hi. In regards to rendering out the animation...2 minutes is actually pretty long...If you think about it, even at 6 FPS (frames per second) you still have 720 frames to render...If each frame takes 1 minute, that is 720 minutes ~ or 12 hours. If each frame just took 30 seconds, that is still 6 hours. So yes, fully rendered animations will take a long time. I would try making the animation smaller (600x400) rather then say 1024x768 (screen resolution). The bigger the image, the longer it will take.
    Best regards,