Thread: Is RMEP relevant?

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Is RMEP relevant?

So I'm listening to some Architects talk, and I'm watching the AutoDesk webcasts, and I get the feeling that creating the model entirely in Revit is not the most economical way to generate a construction model....
    Navisworks is mentioned a lot, as if it is easier to bring your models from different sources into it and link your models there? I've not played with Navisworks because I'M NOT INTERESTED IN buying MORE software.
    So, is Revit worth the frustration of learning dealing with, or maybe using tools such as Google sketch, ACAD MEP, and Navis is the smarter path to follow?

Forum Username Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is RMEP relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by Liamnacuac View Post
    So I'm listening to some Architects talk, and I'm watching the AutoDesk webcasts, and I get the feeling that creating the model entirely in Revit is not the most economical way to generate a construction model....
    Navisworks is mentioned a lot, as if it is easier to bring your models from different sources into it and link your models there? I've not played with Navisworks because I'M NOT INTERESTED IN buying MORE software.
    So, is Revit worth the frustration of learning dealing with, or maybe using tools such as Google sketch, ACAD MEP, and Navis is the smarter path to follow?
    I am Reviting up because this is the way things appear to be going. I currently have AMEP with FABPro (3d piping detailing package) and Navisworks Review. Look at what you would use the programs for - Revit isn't where it would need to be for shop drawings and actual field coordination betwen trades - that is what i do with the other packages. As for Navisworks - they have 3 flavors - get the "Review" (to save $$) unless you need more than the visual method of interference checking (or make sure the other trades you work with have the full version and let them do the checking!!!).

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Naviworks is for coordination/ scheduling of construction. It is not for primary producing construction documents.

We are a 70 plus architectural firm, with a national practice in Collegiate work. We currently will NOT work with a structural engineering firm that is not on Revit, as ALL of our projects for two years have been started in Revit. We have informed over 60 MEP firms that we have worked with, that as of June 1 2009, that same standards will be applied to MEP firms, Revit Only. In the paste two weeks we have had a parade of MEP firms in our office PROVING that they can perform in Revit.

It's little like CAD was in the late 80's to early 90's, you either move, or get left behind.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I have RMEP 09 in production at my firm and my users are doing well with it.