Thread: Exporting schedules to Microsoft Access - ODBC database

Login to Give a bone

Question Exporting schedules to Microsoft Access - ODBC database

Does anyone know where to access step-by-step instructions to export a schedule to Access? I get confused in the first dialogue box when it asks for a filepath to an ODBC driver.

I am trying to create a live link between a revit schedule and a database or spreadsheet, so the schedule can be printed on multiple 8.5x11 sheets and not in our standard revit drawing sheets. If there is a way to print this way within revit, that information would be appreciated too.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Exporting schedules to Microsoft Access - ODBC database

Just create a MS Access file with it.
    Forget the links.
    And yes, you can do multiple page reports in access, or after exporting to access, input the exported database into excel.

Login to Give a bone

I'm having the same problem as above and don't know how to just create an MS Access file, should I try something besides export to ODBC?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You have to define a Data Source on your computer first, sounds like that is what is confusing you?

Clipped from Windows Help:

Using Data Sources (ODBC)You can use Data Sources Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) to access data from a variety of database management systems. For example, if you have a program that accesses data in a SQL database, Data Sources (ODBC) will let you use the same program to access data in a Visual FoxPro database. To do this, you must add software components called drivers to your system. Data Sources (ODBC) helps you add and configure these drivers.

Open Data Sources (ODBC)

Notes

To open Data Sources (ODBC), click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance. Click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Data Sources (ODBC).

For information about using Data Sources (ODBC), in the ODBC Data Source Administrator dialog box, click Help.

Login to Give a bone

1. revit help got an explanation on how to do it. (F1)
    2. it won't be live, you have to redo it every time, but the new export won't delete info in new columns of data that you made. It will override everything else that has changed in Revit.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Steve,
    Have you ever experienced any problem regarding the unit conversion problem during the export from Revit to an Access database through the RDB link?

I had a sample model with room schedules exported to the Access file, and I happended to find the number in the field was inconsistent with the one I had in the schedules/quantities in Revit.

I checked my project unit set in Revit as well as the schedule/quantity field format, all imperial. But the number I get in Access is the exact amount after conversion from imperial system to metric, e.g. 1' changed to 0.3048. Does RDB automatically pick up the metric system? I tried to find a place to configure the unit system used in Access, but it seems there isn't any in Access at all!

Any clue?
    Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

I'm trying to conquer this same issue, just two years later. Anyone have info for Revit 2012?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

It's been awhile but Access doesn't know what imperial units are (feet,inches etc). Revit's data is really metric but displays imperial information for imperial unit settings. That means the native format and what gets exported to ODBC is metric values. To format things as feet/inch you'll have to create some conversion tools in reports/queries etc.