Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED TO CONVERT NWD TO ANY OTHER 3D format

Login to Give a bone

Smile NEED TO CONVERT NWD TO ANY OTHER 3D format

Hi

I have nwd published file (size 80mb)

I've lots my original 3d model (.max format), and only thing i have left is NWD now.

I need to convert NWD to .obj, or 3ds, or dxf, dwg ect..

I there any way to do that??

I would be grateful if someone could help me with my problem.

Best Regards
    Dominik

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: NEED TO CONVERT NWD TO ANY OTHER 3D format

If you go to File>Export you can export the file as a dwf

Login to Give a bone

dwf is another viewer (I need to convert NWD to .obj, or 3ds, or dxf, dwg..not to another viewer), anyway navisworks is crushing when I'm trying to convert to dwf saying that I don't have enough RAM where I have 16Gb + over 100Gb from hard drive. So that is not the way to solve my problem.

Thanks for an answer. If anyone have other solutions please let me know.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Actually, I would be interested in finding out some similar information.
    What I'd like to find out is if it's possible to put the navisworks model out to an STL format, so we can send the model to a 3D printer.

This would really be useful for our marketing department.

Can it be done? If so, how?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: NEED TO CONVERT NWD TO ANY OTHER 3D format

Well...

I came to conclusion that Autodesk... as usual, made something that works only one way, it's quite typical for them.

You can import whatever You want into NavisWorks, but export...noooo, why would anyone like to export something from NavisWorks.....)?#"/%/(=)/%)

Still if there is someone who have any good idea how to help me with exporting from NWD to any other 3d format like 3ds, dwg, obj, ect.. please let me know

Regards
    Dominik
    Last edited by dominik.zaras; 2009-02-13 at 01:35 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dominik.zaras View Post
    Well...

I came to conclusion that Autodesk... as usual, made something that works only one way, it's quite typical for them.

You can import whatever You want into NavisWorks, but export...noooo, why would anyone like to export something from NavisWorks.....)?#"/%/(=)/%)

Still if there is someone who have any good idea how to help me with exporting from NWD to any other 3d format like 3ds, dwg, obj, ect.. please let me know

Regards
    Dominik
    Uhhh... yeah. For starters, NavisWorks wasn't created by AutoDesk so thats out the window right from the start.

The method of creating a input-only file type with a freeware viewer is quite common. If the NWD file could output back to the original file format companies wouldn't use it nearly as much, as they use it to keep other companies from reverse-engineering models just as much as for the free viewer software. Its not just about proprietary information, either, its also about making sure the file receiver isn't making unauthorized changes or using incorrect or out-of-date information.

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: NEED TO CONVERT NWD TO ANY OTHER 3D format

Hi dominik i work in technical support departement and i faced this problem i searched alot concerning this matter and was led to the conclusion that the only way to export a 3d model from navis is the switchback option in the review menu. Knowing that siwtchback is active with Navisworks2009.1

Navis works is a program which is able to import from various formats, but exports only images,. Avi files, and xml files, to export a model from navis to ex 3dmax it has to be originally generated in 3dmax and not any other program.
    To load 3d models(generated in 3dmax) from navis works to 3dmax, please follow the following instructions:

1-start up autocad, then type in the command line ( nwload) then press enter
    2- the message ( navisworks ready) appears
    3- Go to navis works and open the file which I want to transfere
    4- select the model or objects by the selection method (select box)

5-open the review menu, and select switchback

hope to have been of some help,
    best wishes.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Switchback only works with AutoCAD and Microstation based files and does not export 3D models. It recreates the current Navisworks view in the design application. You still need to have the original file for this to work. At this time there is no export other than DWF/NWD or AVI/JPG type files.

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi

I have nwd published file (size 80mb)

I've lots my original 3d model (.max format), and only thing i have left is NWD now.

I need to convert NWD to .obj, or 3ds, or dxf, dwg ect..

I there any way to do that??

I would be grateful if someone could help me with my problem.

Best Regards
    Dominik
    Hi. Navisworks is a file aggregator...That is to say, it takes just about any input and compresses it so all stakeholders can drive through and redline the model in real time. Compression generally only works in one direction. Navisworks does not export any file types other then those already mentioned. It would be nice to export say the clash views to a 3d printer though so you could print the clashes, but that is not available currently.

Best regards,

Login to Give a bone

Well...

Dominik
    Hi Dominik,

This opinion is a little unfair and misinformed. Navisworks as a product has been around for the better part of a decade and has only been owned by Autodesk for the last 2 years.

Navisworks is primarily a file aggregation and viewing tool, on top of which there are tools for simulation and analysis of those aggregated files. The NWD format is absolutely not designed to be taken out of Navisworks back into design packages for additional editing of the aggregated model.... so the ability to export 3DS or any other 3D design format is not part of Navisworks' remit. It's not what Navisworks is about.

I hope this helps clear this up.

Thanks.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast