Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elevation as a Drafting View

Login to Give a bone

Question Elevation as a Drafting View

Hi
    Is there any way we can get elevations that are already drawn in cad to revit and change the elevation tags on the floor plan of the revit project to suite the elevations on the drafting view.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Elevation as a Drafting View

Yeah..... but ew! Dont do it!

In Drafting View: File > Import/Link > DWG > place it somewhere

In Floor plan, delete/hide the elevations, then go to View > Elevation > (option bar) reference other view button > go to the drop down that shows up and select the name of the drafting view > Place the marker.

Then sit back and watch the team have to work twice as hard.

I could stop if I wanted to eldad's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

twiceroadsfool, i don't understand why not to do this?? it's a very handy feature to have, Referencing to other view, I have used this many times before with no problems

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I believe that it is because it defeats the purpose of BIM, since changingthe floor plan does NOTHING what so ever to change the elevations, now you have a guarenteed conflict built into your documents. In the commercial end of the profession, this is a potential change order that the architect/engineer cannot adequately defend themselves from.

Login to Give a bone

Exactly as Scott said, it defeats the purpose of the Intelligent and coordinated model.

We spend a bunch of time up front building the model, so we can reap the benefits on the back end when were querying the database multiple times (with elevations, schedules, 3d views, etc).

If were going to build the model for plans, and reference in CAD elevations or sections, now you have to update your Model AND your CAD drawings when things in the design change.

Its self defeating...

Login to Give a bone

the reference other view is great for sections to do details that are already in cad with all of the annotations and everything already created, if all the variables are right, arrow, text.... Although detailing in Revit with 2d info added to the section created is not bad, it is just a little more creating the detail, more work, but then you can save the view out and have it for the next time you need it.

Login to Give a bone

CAD Sections... To each their own, but In all the times ive heard it saves time, ive yet to see a SINGLE job go out that actually benefitted from it in the end... After all the job specific stuff was finished changing...

Login to Give a bone

If you're wanting an elevation marker to point to some product-specific detail/elevation that is in CAD, then that's fine. But if you're wanting to do elevations of building components in CAD, well... that's bad. Trust me, it's WAY easier to model it so that the actual Revit elevations look correct.

I could stop if I wanted to eldad's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by twiceroadsfool View Post
    Exactly as Scott said, it defeats the purpose of the Intelligent and coordinated model.

We spend a bunch of time up front building the model, so we can reap the benefits on the back end when were querying the database multiple times (with elevations, schedules, 3d views, etc).

If were going to build the model for plans, and reference in CAD elevations or sections, now you have to update your Model AND your CAD drawings when things in the design change.

Its self defeating...
    I believe you guys are a little confuse about BIM (not being condescending here) reference to other view has nothing to do with BIM but rather with housekeeping, it's a great tool and if anything it will make sure that you are pointing to the right place.
    The idea is not to over develop your model, but this is another discussion all together

Login to Give a bone

Uh, im not talking about Reference other View, but the OP's original intent: To use CAD imports to make up their elevations.

i assure you, im not confused about the prospects of BIM, but youd be hard pressed to convince me that modeling a floor plan, and using a fake drafted elevation is a good idea. In fact, im confident youll NEVER sell me on that....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast