Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HVAC Splitter TEE

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: HVAC Splitter TEE

Quote Originally Posted by bradg View Post
    Sorry to butt in, but is one of these something like you're looking for? (see screenshot)

If one of those is what you're looking for, I'll explain how to get them (2 and 3 use a custom part I made that I'll post), if not, would you mind posting a line drawing of what you're trying to create?

-Brad
    Brad, thanks for the input. I like version 3 with a modification (if possible), I would like the elbows to line up on one side. This is how I think the part is built (but Icould be wrong). See my earlier post "Reducing TEE.dwg". Please post your custom part. or send it to me, I would also need some help loading it in the correct location so that I have access to it in all my projects. I am trying to learn all the ins and outs of this software, but it is very time consuming.

Thanks again
    Mike
    AMEP 2009 SP2
    Windows XP SP3
    mikem@ceitulsa.com
    Last edited by MikeM4OSU; 2009-02-19 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Added more information

Login to Give a bone

Brad,
    I'm interested to know how you made parts 2 & 3. I need to make one similar with one duct turning up instead of horizontal.

Chris

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hey Chris,

I'll be happy to explain how I made the part for 2 and 3, although I'm kind of busy at the moment. Do you have any experience with the Parametric Part Builder?

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for responding. I have poked around winth it and edited a few parameters for some of the canned duct fittings. I have not created anything from scratch yet.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hey Chris,

Rather than take the time to explain how to make the part, I'll just go ahead and post it. I'm honestly not sure how to install it; I think if you just take the two files in the .zip folder and put them into "...\Catalogs\Duct\Rectangular\Splits" AMEP should detect them automatically (upon reloading) (you may need to make the 'Splits' folder inside 'Rectangular). If this doesn't work, hopefully someone else can step up and explain

As far as using the part goes, I've found that it works best to do this process:

Say I want to take a 20x10" duct and split it into 12x10" and 8x10" ducts:
    1) Draw the 20x10" duct up to where you want to place the split
    2) On the Tool Palette, select Add Duct Fitting and find the Rectangular Duct Split
    3) Before setting any sizes, click on the end connector (DCON) of the 20x10" duct; you should notice in the Part Filter tab that the Connection Width and Height (RW1 and RH1) will be locked to 20x10"
    4) Set the remaining variable (RW2) to 12" and press Enter, accepting 0.00 for the rotation angle.
    **IMPORTANT: It is crucial that you don't try to click to add the part, as in my experience, it wants to set the rotation angle to 90 degrees whenever you click. You need to make sure you either enter "0" for the rotation angle, or press Enter to accept the default value of 0.00**

You'll notice you now have 2 connections at the end of your duct, one 12" and one 8". If the 12" connection is on the wrong side, then just select the part, and change the 12" entry to 8". The part basically works by making one connection the width you specify, and the other connection's width is automatically determined based on the part's overall width. If you want to make a duct similar to the one shown in #3 earlier, just use the same part and add transitions afterward that are flat on left/right accordingly.

The part is only about 1/32" wide, so you may have to zoom in quite a bit to select it.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you need any help, or want to know how it was created,
    -Brad
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Simple and sweet. Works like a champ. This will solve a lot of fitting combo issues that I find lacking in the parts provided with AMEP. Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

I have made a new version of this to have the overall width be equal to the sum of the two splits.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Has anyone made one of these for Revit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12