Thread: Phased Demolition

I could stop if I wanted to Lashers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hopefully I am just being a bit thick, but I cannot seem to find a way around the following problems with demolition in different phases:

Removing External Insulation from Existing:
    My existing building has render and insulation on the outside face of the structure, where my new build joins I would like to remove these outside layers back to brick, then rendering and skimming ready for internal decoration. This would also give me back 85mm of room space, stolen by restrictive planning rules!! Anyways I cannot figure out how to do this "localised" demolition. . . .

Roof Demo:
    Similarily, I need to cut a chunk out of my existing roof where my new one hits it (not a pretty site - also thanks to the planners) But if I do this in my Phase4, then my Phase2 has an irregular hole where the roof should be. I have done a workaround by slipping in a patch but the join lines show up!! Any ideas??

Ta
    Lashers

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Phased Demolition

Re the wall partial demo:
    Try splitting the existing wall. Then demolish the part you want to change. Then, replace that part with new construction . There will be a join line between the two wall types, but thats presumably what is going to happen in reality also.

Re the Roof Demo:
    I once had a similar question about partial demolition of a floor.
    Peter J's reply might help you :-
    When I know just how much of the floor is to be demolished I copy the entire floor in its present location, then I select previous and change its phase to a future phase that can't be seen in the current view, edit the floor where it is so that links to walls are not lost and then bring the other floor back into the current phase and edit that to form the demolished area, again retaining its relationships with walls etc. and finally mark it as demolished at whatever point in time suits....

Login to Give a bone

Cheers BG

I will try your technique, but it is not quite what I was trying to acheive. I wanted to leave the cavity wall construction in place, just removing the outer layers of insulation and render - thus not showing the main wall with a join.

As the saying goes: - If you don't have a horse . . ride a cow!

Thanks
    Lashers

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

What about a wall or roof based family that is nothing more than a void cutting the wall or roof to achieve the demolition? you could then phase that, I think that would do it???

I dont use phasing 100% myself, especially for demo - I tend to just delete stuff and add detail lines etc to represnt where it was, it makes things much easier. And if you keep a separate file with the existing stuff you always have a reference to look back at, and you can exprt DWGs to underlay. I find trying to get phasing to work 100% always led to me taking longer especially when demo was involved, when at the end of the day as long as you get the drawings you need it doesnt really matter.

Login to Give a bone

Martin,
    I am using separate files at the minute, I am worried that I am in danger of getting them out of sync with each other. Therefore i thought I would try and find a way of acheiving my aim in a more structured and Revitised form . . .

I will try you idea with the void that may avoid some of the problems I am having.

Thanks
    Lashers

Login to Give a bone

We're running into a similar situation on a job. An EIFS cladding system is being removed and a brick veneer is being built. Having a double wall solves the demo issue very well. But how do we get windows and doors to poke through both? Because they are remaining we have them hosed on the structural wall right now.

Login to Give a bone

If you use join geometry to join both walls to each other then the window should cut through both walls.