Thread: Cannot Select Objects in 3D View Mode

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Cannot Select Objects in 3D View Mode

Hi all,
    I was working in my drawing most of the day when all of a sudden, my 3D view will not allow me to select anything. I have no clue what happened. The only way I can get it to select anything is by turning the 3D view into 2D Wiremode but then there are so many lines, it feels like I'm hallucinating. As soon as I turn the view back to any of the 3D modes (i.e. hidden, conceptual, realistic, etc.) it happens again. I can't even get the selection box to come up. What have I done? Please help.

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cannot Select Objects in 3D View Mode

Quote Originally Posted by kane333 View Post
    Hi all,
    I was working in my drawing most of the day when all of a sudden, my 3D view will not allow me to select anything. I have no clue what happened. The only way I can get it to select anything is by turning the 3D view into 2D Wiremode but then there are so many lines, it feels like I'm hallucinating. As soon as I turn the view back to any of the 3D modes (i.e. hidden, conceptual, realistic, etc.) it happens again. I can't even get the selection box to come up. What have I done? Please help.
    maybe it is in perspective mode, I'm not sure how to remedy the situation, I dont work in 3D, but I heard that this is possible. Maybe someone else who works in 3D can assist you in getting your drawing out of perspective mode, if that is the problem.

Login to Give a bone

I thought it was perspective view but I checked and that is no longer a factor in A2009 (maybe from A2007 onward ?).

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccowgill View Post
    maybe it is in perspective mode, I'm not sure how to remedy the situation, I dont work in 3D, but I heard that this is possible. Maybe someone else who works in 3D can assist you in getting your drawing out of perspective mode, if that is the problem.
    You can just right click, select zoom, right click again and then pick parallel or perspective.

But you should still be able to select objects when in perspective (I think) so I'm not sure if that is the issue.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I use Constrained Orbit and when I right click while in Constrained Orbit, it gives me a pop-up menu with a few choices. Parallel is my preferred choice over Perspective in that the Perspective View is quite slow while trying to pan, zoom and orbit. I've figured out the problem and fixed it earlier this morning when I got in to work. It seems there was a bad "fitting" that was placed on the drawing. While double clicking in the Iso View viewport, I found that the bad entity was on the DCW (Domestic Cold Water) Layer. So I isolated the layer and started erasing pipe until I found the culprit. Everything works fine now and thank you for your input.