Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone verify the VIZ plugin & Revit?

I could stop if I wanted to Kroke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Can anyone verify the VIZ plugin & Revit?

Is it only for VIZ 2005 as stated in the PDF or will it also work with other versions of Viz & or MAX? (such as v.7)

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can anyone verify the VIZ plugin & Revit?

I too would like to know whether the plugin will work for older versions, as I am running VIZ 4.

Login to Give a bone

All the available information points to VIZ2005, not earlier versions.

Login to Give a bone

It shouldn't really matter what version. It is going to be a 3d dwg file anyway from what I have read about it unless it restricts to the use of dwg 2004 or later file. Material Layers will be made based on the Revit material info from my understanding of it. That is how Archicad does it. I am sure they will be similar. Just a guess though.

AUGI Addict christopher.zoog51272's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Remember, Revit has had all of this "viz" data in it's 3d dwg/DXF exports for over a year now, it is just that now we are finally getting a Viz 05 plug-in to read this data.

I would venture to say that native RVT linking is a long way away. But as long the dwg link works dynamically with re-exports from Revit, I'll be very happy!

Btw, can't see why it wouldn't work with max 6, they have nearly if not the same plug-in specs, no?
    Chris
    SOM | New York

Login to Give a bone

[QUOTE=czoog]Remember, Revit has had all of this "viz" data in it's 3d dwg/DXF exports for over a year now, it is just that now we are finally getting a Viz 05 plug-in to read this data.

It is a pain to do get it in there correctly with layers corresponding to the right materials. You have to modify the material ids in Revit DWG/DXF export file. That is really time consuming and we shouldn't have to do it at all via plug-in i.e. Revit 7.

I could stop if I wanted to Kroke's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by czoog
    Btw, can't see why it wouldn't work with max 6, they have nearly if not the same plug-in specs, no?
    Right but MAX doesn't have the dwg link thing like VIZ does. And not all plugins are compatable with each other (VIZ/MAX, more work with MAX than VIZ). Just wondering, my roomie was going to spring for MAX 7 upgrade and I was hoping maybe I would also be able to use it for a project or two.

Login to Give a bone

I thought that MAX 6 had the link thingy... huh. I just downloaded the MAX 7 trial, but I haven't had too much time to play with it.

What I'm more concered with in regards to the VIZ/MAX importing is the complexity of the models. I'm always amazed at how much detail Revit allows within a 3D model, I mean, I've got a city-block-sized apartment building, over 250 units, down to the doorknobs and furniture. When I currently export a DWG to the trial version of MAX, or to a DXF to bring into Blender, they become *huge* models and take forever to import and have issues with there size and number of faces. I'm a little concered about the VIZ plugin, moreso just in the size of the models they will create, and how viable it would be. For I'd would love to be able to render these huge models in something more robust!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    I thought that MAX 6 had the link thingy... huh. I just downloaded the MAX 7 trial, but I haven't had too much time to play with it.

.I'm a little concered about the VIZ plugin, moreso just in the size of the models they will create, and how viable it would be. For I'd would love to be able to render these huge models in something more robust!
    There has been DWG Linkng since V5 I am prettty sure. So that isn't an issue. I would just use Viz anyway unless you're going to do some animations that aren't availible there

There has been a problem in the past with large poly counts. I am concerned about that as well seeing that I have a couple of blocks of buildings that will be a huge Max/Viz file. I don't know if they have addressed that in Max 7 or not. I had issues with that when I was doing solid modeling in ACAD and Rhino in the past. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Login to Give a bone

The frustrating thing for me is that my old reseller told me before Viz2005 that Viz was getting phased out and gave me a great deal to upgrade to MAX, promising that Max was only adding features, not taking them away. I hope that's true with this plug-in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast