Thread: Headers

Login to Give a bone

Default Headers

I'm learning Revit and I cant wait to start using Revit for my drawings and ditching Autocad.

This is how I show beams and headers on my 2D AutoCAD drawings. If I have a dropped beam or header I show as a center line and call it out on my floor plan. If I have a flush or upset beam I show it on my framing plan.

Can you have a beam or header show up on a floor plan as a center line? Also can you have a header built into your door and window familys so it would show up in section and as a center line in plan view?

Attached is a PDF of my 2D floor plan showing how I like to show headers and dropped beams in AutoCAD. Also, I would love to be able to call out the door and window sizes as shown in the PDF file also but I don't think that is possible with out just adding text.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rick.74802; 2004-10-19 at 08:32 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Headers

Hi Rick,

To show beams / headers as a center line, either set underlay to level above and use the linework tool, or temporarily raise the view range to show those elements and use the linework tool.

You can make door and window families that contain headers or have nested header families and use a symbolic line to display the header in plan and it will also be available in section views. That requires a bit more explanation, maybe read up on it first by searching the forums.

Finally, there is a way to have door and window tags display the size as per your wish, I'll dig out a link and post back later.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Beegee. I have a lot to read up on familys and stuff. I was just curious if it is possible to display the headers the way I like to.

I attended an on-line education session put on buy Revit this morning and learned a lot from that. All of the support that is available for us new Revit users is very much appreciated!

Login to Give a bone

Hi Rick,

THIS THREAD shows how to do door and window tags by size.