Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overhaul the Revit UI to mimic AutoCAD

Wink Me and Revit and the interface -- and Revit 7??

Hi -- I am one who has put off learning Revit until closer to the time I thought I might need to use it. My past experience is that I disliked the interface a lot, and was bugged that good (for me) features of other Adesk products were not incorporated into it.
    Last week, I gave it another shot, and though I think I need to start getting up to speed, the same things still bother me: in particular, 1- escape>escape rather than Enter to finish a command, and stuff like having to click on "finish roof" rather than enter 2- lack of the context (right-click) menus I like so much in Acad/ADT 3-- some of the names, some of the operations that rely on knowing the names (example of where context menus help)

NOW -- I realize more that because I came into this all as a second career with little computer knowledge, that most of you have probably learned several other major programs, while my expertise on complicated programs is pretty much all Acad/ADT, therefore you may be much more accustomed to a variety of interfaces, and I need to get there. I was always one who needs a lot of repetition to learn programs.

AND -- being originally from Marketing, I have had to get over Autodesk pushing Revit by knocking its own products that I like, which I thought was poor business -- I am closer on that one, and the balance is better now.

SO -- what I would love to know is -- Will Revit 7 have an interface that makes it easier to move from other Autodesk software? (my fear is that the team may be married to its own inventions --let's see)

OR -- do I just need to get over it and plow on in?

Thanks

BOB

PS -- anyone still angry that I have been known to say the time for Revit was not here for most of us, please move on-- That was from last year, and I always expected it to be around mid-late 2004 before the program and the timing were more right for guys like me.

Default Re: Overhaul the Revit UI to mimic AutoCAD

Bob, at least you understand that your focus on AutoCAD/ADT and lack of experience with other software is contributing to some of your frustrations with Revit.

First thing you should do is dig out the 'keyboard_shortcuts.txt' file that's within the 'Program Files/Autodesk Revit 6.1/Program/' folder. Take a quick look at it, it's a lot like the Autocad .pgp file, and maybe print it out. This will help a lot in getting used to Revit, for (almost) everything can be keyboard driven.

Revit does have context-aware right-click menus; however it doesn't make extensive use of them yet. But try right-clicking on a dimension string, or a section head, or a door, and you'll see that there are some context-specific options that come up.

Another thing to also keep in mind is that Esc really is only to cancel something. To finish a command, either click on dead space or simply click/type in another command. Also get used to using the Tab key, it plays a major role within Revit...

Esc? Esc? You shouldn't have to Esc. that often. Revit doesn't need to "finish" a command...

Just click another tool. Or right click Cancel. Or set up a hot key to return to Modify (I like F2...)

Remember - AutoCAD is the odd bird. Revit is more like the rest of the software in the world than AutoCAD - which is still firmly rooted in its old DOS interface....

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar

Bob, your name is totally familiar. Where might we know you from?

Thanks, J & A --
    Don't be stopped by any reference I make to my small attempts at the interface so far, guys.
    Neither one of you addressed the question of interface change in Revit 7 for the purpose of making it more like the Autodesk Products we are used to (obviously only if it helps Revit, too) for easier transition.
    If you are just saying that guys like me are out of step, and the interface is great as is, OK, but that ain't very inclusive. DOS and typing (guess I have to find the keyboard again) are not the point -- the ease of transition is the ball the eye ought to be on, in my view. If Revit is easier to migrate to, it will start to be more widely accepted sooner, and generate the resources for even more development. (I do not think anyone will say it's in the black so far.)
    Input from the perspective of folks who have learned many programs is welcome, but some perspective on the more common situation, like mine, where Acad based stuff is the main skill, will help more people, I suggest. I already knew Revit is easy to learn for those with a broad computer mastery.

BOB

Bob,

If the question is " will R7.0 have an interface compatible or comparable with Autocad / ADT ", I think the answer is no.
    If the question is - "should Revit change its interface in future to make the transition from other Adesk programmes easier" , then I suspect the majority of existing experienced users would say no and the majority of new users may say yes. To test this thesis, you could post the interface question on the wishlist with a poll. ( I suspect the wish is there, I'm not sure about the poll. ) The developers do take note of wishes that have strong support. ( as R7.0 will show )

I agree that the Revit interface has far to go. Granted, anything becomes easier with use. However, AutoCad can pan/zoom, etc. by many methods. Revit only offers three or four. The program is not nearly as intuitive as it should be.

Basically, all architects are pulling for BIM programs to succeed. I have Revit and ADT available to me, but plain vanilla AutoCad remains more productive in many ways. These forums are loaded with "how do I do this?" questions that simply show that Revit has many failings for now. The interface is major among them.

Similarly, the "family editor" is about as non-user friendly as any software I have ever seen. I learn things little by little, but nothing comes easy. This again is more of an interface question than anything else.

Until Revit gets a respectable market share, don't tell me how Revit guys are the cool ones and the rest of us are "lost."

Actually, bob, I don't think yours is the standard case. I think it's one of the three most common. When I taught Revit for a reseller, I always had three types of students; ones like you who's major computer experience was completely within AutoCAD (some to the point that they couldn't even understand why the printing and fonts were different in AutoCAD from Revit) and had little experience in other software, ones that either had a little experience in many softwares (college students) or had a lot of experience in a totally different CAD software (like Microstation), and finally the third group was Principals and Partners that had never touched CAD before, but at least used MS Office and such, and had a good grasp of Architecture in general.

Revit I found from my personal experience teaching it was easiest for that middle group to pick it up, followed by the people who had never done any CAD before but had a lot of Architectural Experience, and (unfortunately for you) the AutoCAD heavies coming in last, for they had as much to unlearn as to learn. Revit isn't primarrly about Drafting like AutoCAD is, and that really threw some of the AutoCAD folks for a big loop... Whereas Revit's focus on BIM really clicked with people that had never done CAD, but had a lot of Architectural Experance.

And Bob, we're all just trying to help you out. Pointing out your opinion on Revit's UI is perfectly valid, but if we don't agree with you about that, well, it don't mean either of us is wrong, just that we have different ideas. Looks like there are some UI improvements in R7 from the little previews we've seen of it, but probably not the UI improvements you'd like to see. Instead of complaining about how it's not like AutoCAD, put in wishes in the wishlist about what you want in the UI and why- much more constructive, and the Revit dev team does focus on that. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by billybobtobs
    IThese forums are loaded with "how do I do this?" questions that simply show that Revit has many failings for now.
    Wow, jumping to conclusions there, aren't ya? Those questions are coming from people that are just starting to work with the software, they are the same questions I asked when I started, and finally, I can answer almost ANY of those questions now that I've used Revit for a few years.

And for the last time, we're not the 'cool ones' and we're not taking away your precious little AutoCAD just because we find that Revit works well for us. :P

SORRY, please consider that your reply might be shortsighted, as "wish lists" are always almost exclusively contributed by those who already use the programs -- that is not the issue I bring up.
    BOB

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast