Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Overhaul the Revit UI to mimic AutoCAD

Default Re: Overhaul the Revit UI to mimic AutoCAD

Quote Originally Posted by billybobtobs
    There have been posts concerning how to create a wall schedule, how to show door and frame elevations, and how to indicate rated walls. (I understand much of this will be fixed or improved by R7.) However, these are not newbie posts. And these are fairly basic problems for architects.

Second, in non-BIM cad programs, it is possible to draw virtually any stair regardless of complexity. It may be drawn largely in 2D and it may be labor intensive. But the drawings transmit the required information to the contractor and the stair gets built. As of now, there are stairs that Revit and other BIM programs can't quite produce. Granted, these can also be drafted in 2D within Revit, but that seems to defeat the whole concept of BIM.
    You know, not to cause any more arguments, but I have to disagree with your first point. These three items you bring up were all things I covered in my 'Revit Fundamentals' class, and that was using Autodesk's own training materials. I think the real issue in regards to these items is that most people never take any form of actual training, they either just charge into the software learning what they have to ad-hock or maybe they will go through a tutorial or two. These are 'newbie' questions I believe, being asked by people who I'm guessing never took a class or the on-line training available. I mean, if I was asking how to do something basic in Photoshop, because I just started using it and never took any time prior to learn about it, that doesn't mean that there are fundamental flaws in Photoshop. No offense, but I use Revit every day, and have for over three years now, and used to teach it full-time. And I think you're wrong here, no offense- these are basic questions that are easily answered. You Create a Wall Schedule by clicking Views->New->Schedule and selecting Walls as the category. You indicate which walls are rated vs. which aren't by giving your wall types a course fill pattern. And the last one, while made much simpler in R7, you do by having a 'preconstruction' phase where all typical things like doors within a legend live so that you can have them all within a legend but not showing up elsewhere within your project.

Also, your thought that having to draw anything 'defeates the purpose of BIM' kinda shows that you haven't worked with Revit extensively. No offense meant in the slightest, but I don't know if you're aware of just how much you still just simply draw stuff within Revit. Just because it's BIM doesn't mean you have to model everything; as a matter of fact modeling everything quickly becomes a bad idea for several reasons. For example, I just, this morning, drew where my strike lines are within an entry court. I did this by just drawing lines over the top of the slab. I'm never going to schedule the concrete strike lines, all I need to do is indicate there position in an enlarged plan, so I'm just going to draw them. And it would be almost impossible to model everything to the point where you can, say, get a complex roofing detail just by cutting a section; you still have to cut the section and then draw over the top of it some. That was never the point of Revit or BIM I feel, to have the model defined down to every nail and roofing felt. It's still all about content and communication, whether that's model-centric (Revit) or drawing-centric (AutoCAD).

And what kind of stair are you trying to make? How do the stair tools fall short? my point within this whole thread is that general, ambiguous complaints do nothing to help anyone. It might even turn out that your stair is possible, you just don't know how to make it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBKELLERMAN
    Hi -- I am one who has put off learning Revit until closer to the time I thought I might need to use it. My past experience is that I disliked the interface a lot, and was bugged that good (for me) features of other Adesk products were not incorporated into it.
    Every attempt at learning new CAD program is always a mixture of great excitement and intense frustration. I had used Autocad and ADT for years before switching over to Revit. Like everyone else making the switch, my first reaction was nothing but disdain for Revit's foreign feeling interface. However, If you suffer through the frustrations of the first two weeks of learning Revit I think you will come to appreciate the simplicity the Revit interface.

If after two weeks you still find that you prefer an element of the AutoCAD interface just ASK FOR IT. Prior to Revit 5.0, Revit's pick box required that you to click a radio button on the menu bar to switch from a window to a crossing selection box. I found that I still preferred the AutoCAD directional style combination section box. I simply asked for it in the forum wishlist. Other users seemed to like the idea and the Revit team incorporated it in the next version of Revit. Specifically state what you want changed. If it is a popular idea you just might get your wish.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...cad+style+pick
    Last edited by Scott Hopkins; 2004-10-22 at 02:01 AM.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar

Popular topic huh?

Well, it would be interesting to hear the story behind the Revit interface. It's logical enough -- and unique in its final appearance.

My first thoughts were when I first saw Revit (right at the start) was, This is too simple. Where the heck are all the buttons?

I had this same thought years later when I was looking at Revit after working with ADT... which at that time could reduce your viewing area to a little square if you had all the toolbars on!

The interface hasn't changed much, really -- good for long time Revit users, but probably a bit of a jolt for someone coming from AutoCAD / ADT.

As time goes on I would expect to see continued convergence between ADT and Revit in terms of interface.

By "continued convergence" do you mean that one day Revit will have as little screen space as ADT... the more I get accustomed to the Revit interface the more I like it. I would prefer to see more evolution forward than backward toward ADT and AutoCAD.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andrebaros
    By "continued convergence" do you mean that one day Revit will have as little screen space as ADT... the more I get accustomed to the Revit interface the more I like it. I would prefer to see more evolution forward than backward toward ADT and AutoCAD.
    No, but as an Autodesk product now, the Revit team can borrow UI ideas from other Autodesk platforms without breaking shrinkwrap laws. The Revit interface is functional and is showing a good shelf life -- the only thing I'd like is for the icons to look funkier but still recognisable. Icon updates are not much of a real improvement but the graphic artist in me (there are many in this forum) digs it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345