Thread: View label not coming in with viewport

Login to Give a bone

Default View label not coming in with viewport

I've been setting up sheet sets in AutoCAD 2007 and have encountered a problem. I cannot get the view label to come in with the viewport when I place a view on a sheet. I've double-checked the path in sheet set properties and everything appears to be set up correctly. I have attached a jpg file illustrating the path. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I fix it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: View label not coming in with viewport

When picking the View Label Block, did you select a drawing or an actual block that resides in a drawing? I have mine set up as blocks residing in a master template drawing and picked the block that I wanted. Short of that, I'm not sure what is up.

Login to Give a bone

It's a drawing inserted as a block, not a block within a template or a drawing.

Login to Give a bone

Tim, I placed the view label into the template as a block and used that option as you mentioned. It now works! Label coming in just fine and fields are working properly. Thank you for responding. Don't know why it wouldn't work the other way, but it's working now so that's what really counts.

Login to Give a bone

Glad I could help and glad you got it working.

I keep my detail callout block in that same drawing as well. Then you can point to it with the "Callout Blocks" option and start linking your callouts too. Then if you change a detail number on a sheet, all the callouts on all the other sheets will update as well.

Keeping all those blocks in one central file gives you a nice fast way to update them too. As the CAD Manager, I keep a copy of it on my machine. Then when I make changes to any of those blocks, I can copy the file to the server, overwriting the old one. Everyone's blocks update without them knowing since the SSM points to our file on the server.

Food for thought.

Login to Give a bone

Excellent suggestions! I'll implement them as well. Thanks again!

Login to Give a bone

Okay, now I've run into a new problem with my view label. It comes in with the viewport which is on a layer I've set to not print. So, of course, the view label comes in on the same layer. Is there a way to change the layer the view label comes in on upon entry onto the sheet set? Or do I have to physically change layers for the view label every time so that it will print?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl.rankin.csw View Post
    . . . Is there a way to change the layer the view label comes in on upon entry onto the sheet set? Or do I have to physically change layers for the view label every time so that it will print?
    Right, there you have it. No, I have not found a way to make the view label come in on the right layer. You have to manually go through and move each one to the right layer. It's even more fun if you forget to switch to the right layer when you create the view, and then you have to move both the view label block and the viewport. My best advice is, be sure you are on one layer or the other (the viewport layer or the view label layer), place them, isolate the layer, select the ones that need moved, move them and then un-isolate(?) the layers. By isolating the layer it makes selecting them easier. If you run across a better answer, let me know. This one bugs me too.

I think you have your very own "AUGI Wish List" submission. Had I thought of it, I would have submitted it myself.

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: View label not coming in with viewport

Bummer. Thanks for the response though, Tim. I was hoping there was a way to do it; perhaps something similar to setting layer properties on the tool pallette.

Wish list? Looks like I'm too late for this go-round. Voting appears to be already in progress. Bummer again. But just in case it's NOT too late, please feel free to slide this wish in there if you're able to.

Login to Give a bone

Oh, regarding your layers suggestion... I set the border template on viewport layer so whenever I create a new sheet it's already set to that layer. Then when I add a drawing to the sheet it automatically comes in on the viewport layer. So at least I haven't had the fun experience of having to change both the viewport and the view label to a different layer... YET.