See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: XREF Methods for Drawing Border

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: XREF Methods for Drawing Border

Quote Originally Posted by revacservice View Post
    So what happens at my end if say an Architect compiles a CD of a drawing set of say 30 drawings, each x-refing the same drawing file for a project, individually zipping each drawing using this E-transmit function?

Do I then end up with 30 copies of every x-ref, font etc. etc. on my hard drive when I unzip them?

If this is so, there must be a better way.

Don Smith
    No, it doesn't have to work that way. You can eTransmit the entire set as one zip file and it will grab one copy of each needed file and place it in the zip. it will also maintain the folder structure as well, making unzipping easy at the other end. You don't have to eTransmit each one individually.

Also, if making a CD of your drawing set, here is the method I use.
    1) - eTransmit the complete set. This creates a zip file containing everything needed for the complete set.
    2) - Open the zip file.
    3) - Insert blank CD and open a writable window.
    4) - Drag all your files from the zip file ot the writable window.
    5) - Burn baby, burn!
    This will give you a CD with one copy of each file needed for the set and the correct folder structure so that all your x-refs will work correctly and no font files will be missing or anything like that. Plus, you will be left with that zip file to archive an electronic copy somewhere on your file server for future reference.

I would suggest trying the eTransmit feature on a set and take a look at what it does. It's really quite cool and simple.

Login to Give a bone

Personally I never xref'd my titleblocks in. I just felt that xref's tend to creating drawing issues when sending my files elsewhere. Some people are just not as familiar with them.

I made a prototype dwg file and had all of my sheets lined up as tabs already complete. We created the titleblock as a block so any change to any sheet would automatically update throughout the entire set.

It kept it all neat and in one file.

The only drawback is if we wanted a mass change to all projects that was impossible and we could only correct things moving forward.

Now, I am turning 180 degrees and switching to project navigator as we have ADT. Depending on your use keep an eye on ADT vs AutoCAD. The cost is substantial but it really is powerful software!

Login to Give a bone

If only the Architect had read your post, he has compiled a CD using "E-Transmit" individually for each and every drawing file, so instead of one zip file containing one copy of all the goodies I have a CD with 30 plus zip files resulting in 30 plus copies of every font, x-ref etc.

It is a strong possibility that the zip files were compiled at different times so some the x-ref files may be later versions than others.

I'll take on board all the useful hints everyone has been kind enough to offer when using this facility, but at the moment I'm the bunny at the receiving end trying to make use of the files.

Thanks all

Don Smith

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ivan.weiss View Post
    The only drawback is if we wanted a mass change to all projects that was impossible and we could only correct things moving forward.
    Actually it is possible to do mass changes on old projects, we do it at startup through autolisp and it works great.

I could stop if I wanted to CEHill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Well, I really restarted something here, didn't I?

The preceding dialog has certainly clarfied things. The reasons for this thread:
    1. Make the best use of the available software feature (the reason for this thread)
    2. Use a software feature best suited to the task.
    3. See how others are using these features in the context of their work environment.
    I have been in mfg engr. support (11+ yrs.), in AEC (3 1/2 yrs. using Microstation) and, as of Oct. '08, back in mfg engr. support and now exclusively use Autodesk software.

Unheard of in the highly collaborative AEC environment, my current position allows me the luxury (or curse) of being the single full version AutoCAD user, sole designer/drafter and CAD mgr.

I now depend on the input of fellow CAD professionals here. THANKS!
    Yours,

Clint
    Hill

------------------
    CAD Systems Operation and Management
    Chemical Plant Process + Mechanical Design Focus Areas

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: XREF Methods for Drawing Border

We typically xref the Titleblock (TB) in and then insert a separate drawing (tb-info.dwg) with a block of attributes into each sheet. I've even started to create the attributes with 'fields' to automate the sheet names when using the Sheet Set Manger (SSM); change the name of the drawing on the SSM and the attribute is update on the TB.

It's a nice touch when you have a lot of sheets because all of the editing is done in the SSM** rather than in each drawing; basically you eliminate the opening, saving and closing process for all of the sheets.

**Process: Go to the Sheet Set Manger, Right-click on the first sheet, Select Rename & Renumber, Edit the Sheet Title (S1.1 or S101), click NEXT to modify the next sheet, and click OK when finished (see Sheet# Screenshot).

Another useful thing we do is xref the Delta information (see Delta Screenshot). What I mean by this is, I've created a Delta block with attributes for the delta number, date and title (single and multi-line option for title). I insert the block into a blank sheet, edit the attribute information as prompted, save it as 'Delta1.dwg' and then I xref it into TB of the revised sheets from my XREF folder.

We started doing this to save time when working on large projects (set of drawings having 100+ sheets) with numerous sheets requiring a delta. What happened was, we'd submit the project to the Client and they would hold on to the project to make comments rather than submit it to the Building Department, which meant that we would have to revise the delta information; steps required: locate the 20-30 sheets affected, update each date and title; when the drawings are randomly placed in a large set of drawings our method is proven to save tons of time**.

**Process: Go to the XREF folder, locate the 'delta1.dwg' file and open it, change the date and title, click 'SAVE', Done; (all xrefs are automatically updated)!... needless to say, now it's become a common practice for projects big and small.

Hope this helps... DJO
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: XREF Methods for Drawing Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    Actually it is possible to do mass changes on old projects, we do it at startup through autolisp and it works great.
    Who's writing all of these lisps your talking about? i'd like to see a few to see what they offer...

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dortega4269 View Post

We started doing this to save time when working on large projects (set of drawings having 100+ sheets) with numerous sheets requiring a delta. What happened was, we'd submit the project to the Client and they would hold on to the project to make comments rather than submit it to the Building Department, which meant that we would have to revise the delta information; steps required: locate the 20-30 sheets affected, update each date and title; when the drawings are randomly placed in a large set of drawings our method is proven to save tons of time**.

**Process: Go to the XREF folder, locate the 'delta1.dwg' file and open it, change the date and title, click 'SAVE', Done; (all xrefs are automatically updated)!... needless to say, now it's become a common practice for projects big and small.

Hope this helps... DJO
    Do all of your sheets have the same revision block, even if there was no revision on that sheet? How do you deal with a set where, say, you have three sheets, all "issued for building permit" with revisions only on sheet one and two. Then when you issue for construction you have only a revision on sheet three. Revision 1 on sheets one and two will say "added left handed widget" and be dated the same as the building permit submission. Sheet 3 will have Revision 1 saying "removed walls at the owner's whim". All three sheets will have two issued numbers and dates. If you're editing one xref Delta 1 means left handed widget on the first two sheets and delta one means owner's whim on the last sheet.

I see that you might assign a delta to each revision, but then every sheet has to carry the revisions of the whole set. For a drawing like a site plan, which gets often 15 or 20 revisions (in our office with our clients anyhow) the revision column could be full on a sheet a that's never been revised.

Just curious how to make this work in a globally manageable way. We haven't been able to do it and make it follow the ruleset - "A sheet can be issued without being revised, but a sheet can never be revised without being issued".

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by 3dway View Post
    Do all of your sheets have the same revision block, even if there was no revision on that sheet? How do you deal with a set where, say, you have three sheets, all "issued for building permit" with revisions only on sheet one and two. Then when you issue for construction you have only a revision on sheet three. Revision 1 on sheets one and two will say "added left handed widget" and be dated the same as the building permit submission. Sheet 3 will have Revision 1 saying "removed walls at the owner's whim". All three sheets will have two issued numbers and dates. If you're editing one xref Delta 1 means left handed widget on the first two sheets and delta one means owner's whim on the last sheet.

I see that you might assign a delta to each revision, but then every sheet has to carry the revisions of the whole set. For a drawing like a site plan, which gets often 15 or 20 revisions (in our office with our clients anyhow) the revision column could be full on a sheet a that's never been revised.

Just curious how to make this work in a globally manageable way. We haven't been able to do it and make it follow the ruleset - "A sheet can be issued without being revised, but a sheet can never be revised without being issued".
    I think the intent is not to provide a single revision table with annotation to cover all sheets. Rather, where a revision will affect more than one sheet, create an annotation XRef that allows you to attach the needed annotation in relation to the fixed revision table from the titleblock XRef. The annotation XRef would refer to a single revision item, not all revisions to a sheet. The annotation XRef would be inserted, not at 0,0,0, but rather in the appropriate location of the revision table.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: XREF Methods for Drawing Border

Quote Originally Posted by 3dway View Post

I've attached a few sample files for you to get a better understanding of my method.

Files attached:
    -TB.dwg
    -Delta1.dwg
    -DeltaX.dwg**

Here's how you would apply my method:
    1. Open TB.dwg file (file setup for use in PaperSpace) and view the 'sample' tab.
    2. Open Delta1.dwg and do a file SaveAs Delta2.dwg and modify the information.
    3. Xref the Delta2.dwg file and insert it at the Revision line beneath Delta1 in the TB.dwg file.
    4. Open Delta1.dwg again and modify the information and Save.
    5. Using the Xref Manager, Refresh ALL Xref's found in the TB.dwg file.
    6. Note the change of information in Delta1 Revision line.

My theory...
    If you inserted my Delta1.dwg file into every sheet affected by change, requiring a revision cloud & Revision note on the Titleblock, you could very easily modify the Xref (Delta1.dwg) information and ALL sheets containing the Xref will update. Furthermore, if you created a new file (e.g. Delta3, Delta 4, Delta5) according to your latest revision, you would Xref each file in the same manner as before and they would update as necessary. This comes in handy when a client holds onto a set of drawings (loses) and requires you to reprint and send 10 sets of drawings with a different date to his office by days end.

I hope I've cleared up any confusion... if you require any further assistance on this topic be sure to add another post and I'll get back to you or anyone else as soon as I'm available.

**The DeltaX.dwg file is my 'common' block renamed accordingly and used for each project. I have it stored in a central file location and always copy and paste it into my new project folder within an Xref folder. I use this method so that all Xref's are contained and are easily found.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast