Thread: Is it possible to "suspend" groups?

Login to Give a bone

Default Is it possible to "suspend" groups?

I am looking to see if Revit is capable of a feature similar to what ArchiCAD refers to as "suspending" a group.

Suppose I have grouped three items (a desk, chair, pedestal) and named that Group A, which will work for most instances. Now I run into an odd corner, where I have to relocate the pedestal. I don't want to edit that group, and relocate it in all instances of that Group A, nor do I want to create a new group, called Group A1. Ideally, I'd be able to modify this single instance, and still have it retain its identity as Group A.

Is this possible?

(For the sake of argument, lets ignore the fact that it's probably better to be using nested families.)

I could stop if I wanted to dfriesen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is it possible to "suspend" groups?

No, you can't do what you describe, but you can exclude items from a group, and then just place another pedestal where you want it. Tab into the group to select the original pedestal, then Rt-click, and choose exclude. Your new pedestal will not be related to the group, however.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The way I know how is to use the "exclude member" option, it will hide it from that group instance, then you place the pedestal in the location you want, but it will be independent from the group, To use the pedestal as is from the group you "restore excluded member"
    May not work the same but I hope it's close enough.
    These options are under Edit pull down, then Groups, you'll see many options.

Login to Give a bone

I just tried the "exclude member" option as described, and it doesn't seem like it will allow me to move the excluded member independent of the group, thus the need to place a new instance of the object. Thanks for the suggestions though - I had heard there was some way of "suspending" a group in Revit but wasn't sure how it could be done.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you exclude it, then you have to place another instance of it... Its not there, its excluded.

Im not really sure what you want it to do... You dont want it to be a different group... But you want it to be different. It lets you take out the piece that is different, and then put in a substitute free and clear, but you dont want to...

Why not just make it group A1?

I suppose you can group the 2 objects that are the same, then group that group AND the ottoman. Then for this one off, you just ungroup the parent group, and keep the smaller group together, so the other two pieces respond properly.

Seems like a ton of extra work to avoid making another group type... Or excluding.