Thread: Improve office standards?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Improve office standards?

I read an article on Cadalyst and it talked about a way to organize and improve cad drafting was to once a month post random samples of construction documents and review them with the office for look, quality, linework, etc. This, I'm guessing works great in a large office because drawings could be anonymous and no one would be in the spotlight for doing something wrong...but where I am, we only have three drafters and everyone knows who works on what.
    So I was wondering if anyone has used this method in a smaller office where drawings wouldn't be as anonymous? Or could this work anyway...maybe go at it as just getting the whole office on the same page to where our skills are rather than just pointing out what's wrong with a drawing?

Are there any other methods to improve drawing quality other than redlining over and over? Maybe something that gets the drafter to do it right the first time?

Thanks for you help!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Improve office standards?

I just did this in my office earlier this year. We took the exact approach that you've already hinted at:
    Quote Originally Posted by gbelous View Post
    ...maybe go at it as just getting the whole office on the same page to where our skills are rather than just pointing out what's wrong with a drawing?
    Although, it's not really "where are skills are", it's more along the lines of: is everyone on the same page as far as standards go? Is everyone using the same/correct plot style & layers? Does everyone have the same folders mapped? Is everyone using the same templates?

Just by doing this, I identified some holes and fixed them immediately. It took less than a half a day.

Are there any other methods to improve drawing quality other than redlining over and over? Maybe something that gets the drafter to do it right the first time?
    CAD Standards, man! All of those things I listed above will be a good place to start.

Login to Give a bone

As an aside - for a draughtsman there are few things more irritating than reworking a drawing to redlines only to have it come back with new redlines on parts that haven't been altered i.e. things that were missed by the checker the first time round.

All AUGI, all the time Capt. Computer Crasher's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    As an aside - for a draughtsman there are few things more irritating than reworking a drawing to redlines only to have it come back with new redlines on parts that haven't been altered i.e. things that were missed by the checker the first time round.
    do you hear the choir?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I find it quite revealing that you would be embarrassed by making a mistake or doing somewthing incorrectly. I am in charge of a drafting room with 7 draftsmen. We routinely correct each other as we see thing that aren't quite right. No one takes offense and the one comment I hear from everyone is how quickly they can learn and evolve their abilities this way. I've been drafting for 45 years and am still learning new and better ways of doing things. If your co-workers would make you feel inadequate or embarrassed because of an error or incorrect way of doing something, I would seriously suggest that you look for employment in a better working environment

FWIW, Tom