Thread: arched roof

Login to Give a bone

Question arched roof

Ok, so I'm relatively new to Revit still...I've been searching forums for about a week on this and pulling my hair out all the while. I can not, even by following semi-advanced directions, create an arched roof. Could someone please give me step by step (dummy-proof...and boy do I mean dummy-proof) instructions as to how to create one. Consider me very wet behind the ears when you talk me through this. I would greatly appreciate it.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: arched roof

Use the "roof by extrusion" tool. From an elevation or section view start the command. Now draw the arc shape you would like the roof to follow. Just one line. This will be the bottom edge of the roof. Finish the sketch. Now you may have to look at the model in a 3d view and use the shape handles to pull the roof where it needs to be.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: arched roof

Quote Originally Posted by jeffh View Post
    Use the "roof by extrusion" tool. From an elevation or section view start the command. Now draw the arc shape you would like the roof to follow. Just one line. This will be the bottom edge of the roof. Finish the sketch. Now you may have to look at the model in a 3d view and use the shape handles to pull the roof where it needs to be.
    I appreciate the timely response, but, I am still at a standstill when it comes to forming this roof. I know, I know. I did say to really dumb it down though. I attempted to go through the steps you posted from the front elevation and then it asked me to choose a work plane. So, step one complete, now I'm lost again. Anyone who has detailed step by step instructions I would greatly appreciate it. I love Revit but this is just blowing my mind.

Login to Give a bone

Exactly what the previous poster said.
    1. Roof by extrusion
    2. set the workplane as the face of your wall
    3. draw the top edge of your roof
    4 finish sketch.
    5. in section adjust the extents of the roof extrusion(how far it extends forward and backward.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: arched roof

Thank you. Not "exactly" what he said, but putting the two posts together helped. Much appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Hey Chris,

I can relate to wanting easy to follow instructions for revit. I couldnt find
    much online so I made my own series of 5 minute straightforward, step-by-step tutorials
    that all progress on the same simple project. They are all on youtube.

Haven't yet created one for arched roofs, but that one is coming. Anyway, hopefully some of the others may be helpful to you.

you can find them by keyword search easy revit, or dufon.

good luck

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: arched roof

Quote Originally Posted by ddufon View Post
    Hey Chris,

I can relate to wanting easy to follow instructions for revit. I couldnt find
    much online so I made my own series of 5 minute straightforward, step-by-step tutorials
    that all progress on the same simple project. They are all on youtube.

Haven't yet created one for arched roofs, but that one is coming. Anyway, hopefully some of the others may be helpful to you.

you can find them by keyword search easy revit, or dufon.

good luck

Hey Dufon,

Thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind. Currently back into working with AutoCAD but we're trying to implement Revit slowly...not the best approach but being in a small firm it seems the only solution at the moment...so when I need it again I will definitely look up your instructions.