Thread: Rotating Project

Login to Give a bone

Default Rotating Project

Has anyone actually managed to rotate a medium size Revit project (~75mb) yet using the 2009 tools? What sort of time frame should one expect to rotate a project of this size? I recently brought a project from Revit 2008 to Revit 2009 specifically for this tool set, however any attempt to rotate the project results in what seems to be a frozen version of Revit. Is this the type of operation one ought to do at the end of the day and leave to run overnight or am I experiencing something unusual?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rotating Project

Mirroring and Rotating whole project takes a fair bit of time to complete. Just becuase Revit appears to be locked doesn't mean it is. Look at the task manager cpu usage graph and you can see if Revit is still "thinking". I've done a few mirror projects to test it out and depending on the model it took anywhere from 10-30 mins to complete the mirror. That might sound like a lot to some but try to imagine how long it would take to do it all by hand in some other CAD package. When mirroring I found there are a few things that need cleaned up, not sure about rotating a project.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy Jeff View Post
    Has anyone actually managed to rotate a medium size Revit project (~75mb) yet using the 2009 tools? What sort of time frame should one expect to rotate a project of this size? I recently brought a project from Revit 2008 to Revit 2009 specifically for this tool set, however any attempt to rotate the project results in what seems to be a frozen version of Revit. Is this the type of operation one ought to do at the end of the day and leave to run overnight or am I experiencing something unusual?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    May I ask you why do you want to rotate the project? I'm asking that because sometimes people want to rotate projects just to insert them rotated on sheets or to link it rotated into another project, and if that's the case, there are other tools to accomplish it. Now if rotating the project is a design stuff, then you are doing the right thing and just have to wait...

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

I am trying to rotate a project that is 150 mbs. It takes close to 4 hours to complete. I would say the mirrored project is poor at best. Most all of my wall sweeps are deleted and much of the annotations are "out of wack". I ungrouped all of my groups and that solved some of the problems I was having but it still has a long way to go.

Login to Give a bone

Please correct me if I am wrong but I have been trained that you never move or rotate a project with the move or rotate at the top of the tool bar. Use the Revit tools Shared Coordinates-Acquire/Publish and Project position/Orientation-True North and Project North. No geometry moves, just the positioning.
    Ed

Login to Give a bone

Angry Re: Rotating Project

Quote Originally Posted by ed.76566 View Post
    Please correct me if I am wrong but I have been trained that you never move or rotate a project with the move or rotate at the top of the tool bar. Use the Revit tools Shared Coordinates-Acquire/Publish and Project position/Orientation-True North and Project North. No geometry moves, just the positioning.
    Ed
    That is what I have been taught too. Now we are half way through a project and the architect has rotated the building about 20 degrees. How do we adjust for this? We had already acquired coordinates before the rotation. How do I change the Project angle? When I go to "Manage Place and Locations" I cannot change the angle that is displayed.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by troberts View Post
    How do I change the Project angle? When I go to "Manage Place and Locations" I cannot change the angle that is displayed.
    We don't have a need to do project rotations, so I've never done it, but wouldn't you use Tools>Project Position/Orientation>Rotate True North?

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Rotating Project

Whether you rotate True North or Project North is a big debate. I believe that True North should be left where God put it. In Rotate Project North you only have 90 degree increments to choose from.

Login to Give a bone

Wasn't aware of the debate. So I can't comment on that. But rotating true north will change the angle in manage place and location box

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by troberts View Post
    ...In Rotate Project North you only have 90 degree increments to choose from.

You can rotate Project north to any direction you need it to be rotated to. See attached image.
    Attached Images Attached Images