Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Local File Creator Tool

Login to Give a bone

Default New Local File Creator Tool

For anyone interested, I built a little local file creation tool in vb.net and put it on our local user group website here: http://www.ramlug.org/?page_id=187. It works in both 32 and 64bit environments.

I allows you to configure your default local folder and some standard "central file renaming" (ie. replace 'central' with 'local', add your initials, the date). It will also allow you to automatically create local subfolders. It also keeps track of the central files you access in a list. There's a help file included to walk you through the initial configuration and use.

Basically it replaces "close local file, navigate to the central file, right click copy, navigate to local folder, delete existing local, right click paste, rename, open, get back to work" with "close local file, open the app, pick central file from a list, click the button to Create Local, get back to work". Just a little something to make life easier.

Please forgive the "branding" - it was the compromise I made to be allowed to make it public...

If you do try it, please leave a comment on the website or here. Hope you find it helpful.

(I've attached the HELP file to give an idea of what it does and how it works.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by pkirill; 2009-03-11 at 05:40 PM. Reason: uploaded help file

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: New Local File Creator Tool

Hi Paul, thanks for posting. Is the attached zip only for 32 bit OS? I have just a chm file (running Vista 64). I'll check your LUG link too.

Login to Give a bone

OOPS! I forgot to mention that I just posted the chm here to give folks an idea of what it does - the installer is at the LUG website. I wanted to keep it in one place in case I need to update it... We've tested the program here on XP Pro 32 and Vista 64 and it should work in both environments. Let me know it goes!

Login to Give a bone

I did and installed successfully. Looks great, lots of options. I have to digest all of them

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dbaldacchino View Post
    I did and installed successfully. Looks great, lots of options. I have to digest all of them
    Since you were the "pioneer" feel free to drop me a note with any questions or suggestions! I already have one to add a "don't show me this again" at the prompt to open the local file after creation. And another (more difficult) to prompt for which version of Revit to open it with...

Login to Give a bone

To those who've downloaded it, I updated the program to v1.9.0. Fixed a bug where if you chose to append the local file with the date, the date wouldn't update from day to day. Now it does!

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the tool. We were using a ahk version and just updated to the new patch for Revit MEP 2009. Now the file detaches when it opens. I tried to manually set it to no detach in the journal file but it seems the name of the open file dialog or the checkbox has changed names.

So my question is....

Does your VB.NET program use any journal? I am thinking about trying to replicate it for our purposes in C#

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by joelkarr View Post
    So my question is....
    Does your VB.NET program use any journal? I am thinking about trying to replicate it for our purposes in C#
    No journal. It runs independant of Revit. At it's most basic, it's a glorified file copier.

Out of curiosity, why would you replicate it in C#?

Login to Give a bone

I want to replicate it in C# just because I don't have your source code haha. We would like to give our users a few less options and just hardcode a few things based on our office setup.

If you are willing to share your source, I would be more than happy to give back any migrated to C# version I make.

Login to Give a bone

Actually, I was also trying to add the ability to specify worksets on open which is why I thought you might be using a journal file. But I just reran your tool (which is great by the way) and it seems that you don't have the option to specify worksets yet.

I'm guessing you just open the new local file with revit and that is the end?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast