Thread: Revit MEP Startup Procedure

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit MEP Startup Procedure

I am a CAD manger for a small MEP firm in coastal NC. I have been the chosen to learn and implement Revit MEP 09 for our company. I have been going along pretty well, learning the basics. I have hit a snag with something that should be very basic. I have been following this Revit MEP 2009 Project Setup found here: http://www.revitgarage.com. I open the arch file, purge unused, then save the file. Then I start a new project (which confuses me as too which template I should use). I then link the arch file, and do a copy/monitor of the levels. The next step is to create new floor plans and then duplicate with detail. I can do this, but when I go to properties to change the discipline & sub-discipline, the sub-discipline option doesn't show up. I normally choose the default template. It works if I choose the mechanical or electrical template. My ultimate goal, is to have the central file set up so that it is ready for all three disciplines to start working without much effort. In the instructions I'm following, it says to create those new floor plans, but makes you wait until after you've created local files before changing the plans to their correct discipline. I'm really confused about how to approach setting up the central file for all three disciplines. Thanks for any help!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit MEP Startup Procedure

Sub-discipline, you have to type in, it's not built in.

In general, be careful about purging unused because it's hard to get purged family types back in.

Local/Central procedure is like any workshared RVT.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply. What I meant about sub-discipline is, if I use just the defualt.rvt template, there isn't an option to type in a sub-discipline. For instance, in the default mechanical template when you go under properties, I has a place to put discipline and then sub discipline. That option isn't available with the default template. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that. Thanks for the help!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You may have to add a project parameter to your template for View Sub-Discipline.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by nhorniman View Post
    ...Then I start a new project (which confuses me as too which template I should use). ... I normally choose the default template. It works if I choose the mechanical or electrical template. My ultimate goal, is to have the central file set up so that it is ready for all three disciplines to start working without much effort. ... I'm really confused about how to approach setting up the central file for all three disciplines.
    I would recommend choosing one of the MEP templates rather than the default template. An obvious difference between the M and E templates is the initial views that are in the template. However, since you mention that you are trying to get a standard encompassing setup, you really need to create your own template which would have base views for each discipline anyway. But you would likely start that template from either the M or E template.

IOW, you are shooting yourself in the foot by using the default template.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the replies. I have started building our default template from the mechanical template. As you all have stated, it will be much easier that way.