Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob Questions - RPC + Exposure

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Noob Questions - RPC + Exposure

Hi all,

I am finally having a play with 3ds Max design (been desperate to learn it for ages) going through the autodesk tutorials etc...

I will mainly be using it to render Revit models, but I have already run into issues...

Firstly, after exporting - importing a revit model as fbx and attempting to render it (just hitting render on perspective view) it just gives me a massively over exposed basically white image... I had a look at various exposure settings prior to rendering again, and the only one that actually gave me a decent looking preview was unavailable!?

Can you not adjust exposure etc after you have rendered an image (like you can in Revit)?

Also, how do I get RPC content to show/render?!?! Is there a decent FREE plug in?

Many thanks : )

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Noob Questions - RPC + Exposure

Can you elaborate on your render/lighting settings? Are you using mental ray? GI? Are you using a daylight system? Did Revit bring in any light(s)? All this can help us help you with your first problem.

I'm not sure about the second problem with RPCs, but maybe one of the other fellas around here can give you some insight.

Login to Give a bone

Hi,

I guess I'm using mental ray (not changed any settings and that is what I am used to with Revit...)

As far as lighting and render settings go, I've literally just dropped the revit model into max and hit render. There are no artificial lights.

Is it possible to adjust exposure etc after the render?

Thanks

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You should set up some kind of lighting system, whether it's comprised of omni lights or a daylight system. This will give you much more predictable results than the default lighting.

For the time being, add a skylight to the scene (to override the default lighting) and see if it's still very over-exposed.

The only way I know of to adjust exposure after the rendering is through Photoshop (or whatever your flavor of image-editing you use).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    Hi,

I guess I'm using mental ray (not changed any settings and that is what I am used to with Revit...)

As far as lighting and render settings go, I've literally just dropped the revit model into max and hit render. There are no artificial lights.

Thanks
    You can adjust exposure after the fact, but just like a real camera - it is best to set the exposure right the first time. Also you can export an *.exr which is a high dynamic range image that allows for much more exposure adjustment.

You probably also need to look at your gamma settings. You should look up on the net LWF or linear work flow. This will help in keeping the color saturation and value correct.

As far as setting the exposure - just look at one of the many camera exposure tables on the internet. If your lighting is set up as it would be in the real world - these settings should get you very close to the correct exposure.

Regardless - you'll want to post-process in photoshop for some exposure adjustment and general cleanup.

(For exterior renderings start with a film speed of 100 a shutter speed of 80-100 and a F-stop of 11 or 8. Or an EV of 12 or 13)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value
    Last edited by aaronrumple; 2009-03-21 at 03:26 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Lots of good responses! My thoughts: If you haven't changed any settings, my guess is that your renderer is set to default scanline. Try switching to Mental Ray and see if that makes a difference. It could be that the blown-out effect was because you were in a perspective view. Also try setting up a camera as well (CRTL+C from perspective). Gamma could also be a culprit, but normally that comes with using advanced renderers like Mental Ray. I've attached a screen grab of my settings.

RPCs (I'll try not to rant). How many people are you trying to populate the scene with? I used to be an RPC user years ago, but they've made it too convoluted to add content to your library. We ditched it entirely when we went to V-Ray since it requred the purchase of a separate plug-in per Max license. Although people are a great tool for scale and "activating" a scene, they can be distracting if not placed naturally. RPCs never quite fit in an artificial scene either. We've gone the route of mixing 3D people from Rocketbox, AXYZ, and Lowpolygon3D (placed in the distance). I really should write up something on "People" so I'll stop blathering...

Keep us posted!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by loydg; 2009-03-23 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Login to Give a bone

Right O...

I'll get playing with the camera settings!

I'm used to just dropping in a camera and hitting render... Not used to all this new control and different settings.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Glen,

Anywhere that does decent FREE people I can use? : |

Not quite got the 2.5k for Rocketbox's library...

Cheers

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Glen,

Anywhere that does decent FREE people I can use? : |

Not quite got the 2.5k for Rocketbox's library...

Cheers
    One of the only 2 stuck threads in this forum: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=57818
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Hi all,

I managed to get a non-over exposed render of the model by using the mr exposure setting... The linear setting gave the best preview, but when I clicked render it said it was unsupported : | Does that mean mental ray doesn't support it? even though it got a preview?

I got a tad obsessed with HDR photography after Aaron mentioned it! Even tried making my own with a trial version of photomatix last night...

With regard to 3ds max & rendering... Is there auto settings to create a HDR looking render? Or can you take multiple renders as different exposures and then create a HDR from them?

One thing I have noticed about the render I am able to get, is that it is fairly small and grainy... Where are my 'draft, low, medium, high, best...' and resolution settings that I am used to in Revit?

I really apreciate any input... I really am a total beginner and attempting to understand the basics!

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast