Thread: 3d connexion

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default 3d connexion

I finally got myself one (yeah i know i should have done it before). It's absolutely insanely cool. Works great under max or any of the sample from 3dconenxion (BTW did anyone ever solved that puzzle?)
    But ... (there's always a but) i'm having a hard time using it in NavisWork. I figured out that there's no NW specific driver (that's a bummer) so i have to go with general settings.
    How do you guys have setup yours, care to share some screenshots of your settings?
    I have a Space Navigator

Thanks for your help

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 3d connexion

I find the trick in navisworks is to set the default navigation to fly, and click fly when a model is opened. Sometimes clicking the 'reverse all axis' button twice can fix a glitch. With such control, it is easy to get sea sick, I turn down the vertical or horizontal field of view to about 55deg (vertical) if I havent used navisworks in a while or if others are watching in a presentation. Once I am over the sea sickness (a few weeks) I can turn it up to around a hundred. I set the translation to 2x so I dont rotate too much. I use the linear speed override to set how fast I fly, I am always changing it though.

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I didn't think anyone actually used fly lol, I set the default to walk and tweaked some settings in 3dconnexion software...but I haven't used mine for a long time

Login to Give a bone

I like to use fly mode with 3d motion controllers because it gives me the ultimate freedom. I can fly around as if I were superman or a bumble bee! My favorite move is a barrel roll, like in this video > http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...divx_20f-1.flv

If I am using a mouse to navigate then I use walk.

Login to Give a bone

I've had a space navigator for nearly 3 years now & don’t know what I did without it. in Navisworks I change to the following settings in the 3Dconnexion control panel,

Device Configuration, Zoom Direction set to the forward & backward setting (blue arrow)

App configuration tab, un-check the Dominant box

Button Configuration, L = 3DXWare Panel & R = refresh

Advanced Settings, I adjusted the settings to suite my movements I think every one will be different here just spin around a model & whatever moves too quickly for you then just slow it down.

I always use the walk navigation mode.

Login to Give a bone

oops! I just realised I linked to the wrong image above - thats the one to get flexlm licensing to work on a 64bit vista client when another flex app (solidworks) is getting it's license from a different server (just got to add the navis flex server ip to wins address list).

Here's my settings: