Thread: Paint Tool, Wall Sweep and Material Takeoff Schedule Conflict

Login to Give a bone

Default Paint Tool, Wall Sweep and Material Takeoff Schedule Conflict

I have been trying to setup the most 'BIM-like' method for tagging-scheduling exterior elevation materials and have run into a conflict. I have created a Material Takeoff Schedule, filtered to an exterior finish schedule, so as I add materials to the elevations, they automatically populate to this schedule. Then I can Material-Tag all the finishes nicely. The problem is when I use the paint tool to apply a material, it shows up fine in the schedule, but the instant I add a wall sweep to this 'painted' face, the painted material disappears from the schedule. The only workaround I've found is setting up different walls with different finishes to eliminate the need for the paint tool. So if I have a building with 5 different stucco colors, I would have to I could setup multiple walls just to change the color? The paint tool would seem more efficient, but losing the ability to schedule like I'm trying to do. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a better 'BIM'-like solution when it comes to managing a wide range of materials on an exterior elevation?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Paint Tool, Wall Sweep and Material Takeoff Schedule Conflict

We have run into this as well.

Try:

1. Use a stacked wall for the different colors/materials. Create each wall type
    individually with its material/color. Then create a stacked wall which combines all the
    wall types together.

2. For the Sweep, try embedding it into one of the wall types which is inserted in the stacked wall. Go to Structure Edit, Sweeps, and add a profile for the sweep, and it's location on the wall.

3. If you need the material for the sweep, try an in-place family sweep, instead of a hosted wall sweep--I think you can then get a material from the sweep if needed--and if I remember correctly, you can not schedule a material from a hosted sweep.............

cheers.......

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Paint Tool, Wall Sweep and Material Takeoff Schedule Conflict

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    1. Use a stacked wall for the different colors/materials. Create each wall type
    individually with its material/color. Then create a stacked wall which combines all the
    wall types together.

2. For the Sweep, try embedding it into one of the wall types which is inserted in the stacked wall. Go to Structure Edit, Sweeps, and add a profile for the sweep, and it's location on the wall.

3. If you need the material for the sweep, try an in-place family sweep, instead of a hosted wall sweep--I think you can then get a material from the sweep if needed--and if I remember correctly, you can not schedule a material from a hosted sweep.............
    Cliff, thanks for the reply. I'm realizing that it is much better to set materials through the wall properties as opposed to 'painting' them, even if I have multiple 'similar' walls with different colors. The paint tool is tweaky anyway, in that if a wall is moved the split faces and painted surfaces can disappear, and it's harder to manage what surfaces have been painted. It appears the paint tool should just be used for quick and dirty modeling/rendering purposes. Regarding your response #3, I have set up a wall sweep schedule with a material field that I can quickly view the material for a particular host sweep and replicate the description, manufacturer and model information to the host sweep description, mfr, model properties. Then I can place that schedule on the elevation sheets below the wall material takeoff schedule giving the appearance they are part of the same schedule. That appears to be the closest 'BIM'-like solution to what I'm trying to achieve...

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Paint Tool, Wall Sweep and Material Takeoff Schedule Conflict

Agreed. Paint tool and split-faces can cause lots of problems when wall joins/edits
    are not done carefully.

I like your idea for the wall sweep schedule---and applaud your striving for true BIM.

cheers...........