Thread: Precast Slab and then Precast Beam Shop drawings

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Precast Slab and then Precast Beam Shop drawings

Hi,
    I am about to start a precast slab. We will also do the shop drawings for the precast beams and planks.
    The way I see it I could approach this in 2 (3) ways.
    1. Create my Precast beams and slab profiles and use the beam tool (or beam system) to place the beams. Then take a detail view of each plank and beam type where. In the detail view I can then do the dimensioning and show the reinforcement (with detail lines)
    2. Create a Generic Model of each Beam and Slab Type that is drawn to the exact dimensions and the place them in my model.
    3. Could you use ASD for this? I haven’t set it up and I am not to sure how I would go about it so I think this option is out of the question (for now). But I would like to know if this would be easier and better than doing it in RST.

We have done a lot of precast shop drawings in the past but would like see if it is possible to achieve in Revit.

Thanks for any suggestions and thoughts

J

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Precast Slab and then Precast Beam Shop drawings

I have done a few projects with hollowcore precast planks in the past using various systems. But keep in mind I am just producing standard engineering drawings

The best system I have used so far is creating the planks as a structural framing member (we now have them in the standard content) and using beam systems. I just find it is easier to control the arrangement. I would then model the screed over as a separate slab, then any insitu at edges or balconies is modelled with insitu framing, and slabs

When I completed my first project this way we didn’t have the standard content, so I had to make my families from scratch, which was good in a way, because now I have families which show the symbolic lines the way I want to see in plan and sections. So I would advise getting the families correct for you planks.

As for the detailing side of things, I don’t use ASD much but I would think it could prove useful for your purpose of shop detailing the planks, just not sure how it would transfer any openings or cutouts in the planks, but its defiantly the way I would look at going

Hope thats of some help

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I wouldn't bother with ASD so much, while the formwork tool is ok you get much more flexibility out of Revit in terms of detail views and such.
    Even when exporting the element to Reinforcement tools it starts to create alot of drawings which I find is more clutter. For prefab concrete shop detailing however Revit is far better not so on the steel obviously

Revit is fine for precast elements in my experience, you could go as far as to add detail lines into the beams for reinforcement and make it parametric for details. Then use a legend view to place all your views and detail them there and they update too which is quite nice, and works quite well for tilt slab panel details I have found.

Login to Give a bone

Im new to AUGI, Revit and Autocad Structural detailing. This is my first post/ response. I have seen a few threads that address some of my immediate questions. I would like to expand on the question by JH75 and M20roxxer’s response. I am encouraged to hear that you feel Revit is fine for precast elements since it is my hope to create and or receive building models in Revit, generate reinforcement either through sections or using the extensions then export the individual precast piece out to ASD to generate the shop drawing. Currently I’m having some problems.

In Revit when I select the inverted Tee and then the reinforcement of beams under the addins I get a “The defined element is not supported by the Extension”. This is peculiar because I used the automatic grid generator to create the elements.

I am also getting a “can’t solve Rebar Shape” when I try to use the extension to reinforce the columns.

Using revit structural (Structural Analysis-Default.rte) I load the precast families I want from the imperial library (imperial library>Structural>Framing>Precast Concrete).
    Precast-Inverted Tee.rfa
    Precast-Concrete Double Tees.rfa
    (imperial library>Structural>Columns>Precast Concrete)
    Precast-Rectangular Column with Multi Layer Corbels.rfa
    I use the extensions grid generator to create levels, grids, column elements and inverted tee elements.
    I use the automatic reinforcement generation in the extensions and the only element to show up in the dialog box is the column. Using the std 90 deg hook, and it looks like the hook bent the wrong way its ending up outside of the column. I have read in these forums that it is better to use the extensions in revit to model the reinforcement then export the piece to ASD using the extensions.

I’m new to Revit and Autocad Structural Detailing Im excited about the possibilities but I cant just talk about it I have to make it happen. The draw back about making shop drawings for precast pieces in Revit is that they are surrounded by other pieces some possibly exactly the same and production doesn’t want to see anything but the piece they are casting, shop drawings. As I said I’m new to Revit and Im not sure I can achieve this in Revit alone and it was my understanding that ASD would be good for generating shop drawings.

This turned out to be lengthy but I'm seeking some sound direction and it sound like there are some people here who could give it. thanks in advance
    “We don’t know what we don’t know” Donald Rumsfeld