See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network License Activation Utility for ACAD 2010

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Network License Activation Utility for ACAD 2010

I just received the discs for the 2010 range (I support ACAD, ACAD LT, ACADE, ACAD MEP, & Inventor), built a deployment image for Vanilla ACAD, then discovered that the Network License Activation Utility is not on the discs. I even read the Network Administators Guide and the Network Licensing Guide, and BOTH of those tell you to go to the "Install Tools and Utilities" section in the install wizard and install the Network License Activation Utility - which is NOT THERE!!

What it boils down to is this: Autodesk stuffed up!! (...yet again)

What we need to do, so I found in the subscription center on a page that I can now no longer locate, is to go to https://registeronce.autodesk.com/, sign in, and complete the registration & activation online. You will then be emailed the appropriate license information. (As well as being given an opportunity to save the new license file directly from the Autodesk website.)

It would be nice to be told this information by Autodesk, rather than having to dig it out yourself.

Annoyingly, though, there is now no longer a feature to merge the new license information into your existing license file. This means that you will now have to fumble through the process of trying to manually merge your license files (in my case that's four separate files) into one file that your Flex license manager software will accept,...much like we had to do several years ago,....Good luck with that!

Oh, and by the way, when the registration website tells you that if you are a subscription customer you should use your "Group ID" instead of your product serial number, but then gives you absolutely no idea where to actually find this "Group ID", - JUST IGNORE IT - Use your product serial number. As best I can tell, that actually IS your "Group ID" - i.e. one 'group' per product.

Well, hopefully this will help to get some others up and going again, and maybe save what's left of your hair after dealing with Autodesk.

Cheers,...Jon.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

- Kristin Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Network License Activation Utility for ACAD 2010

thanks for the info. i thought i was loosing it. the link worked like a charm.

Login to Give a bone

No problems! I'm glad that it helped somebody out.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Network License Activation Utility for ACAD 2010

To add a little bit of info to this thread... here's a list of things you'll need when using the website:

• Autodesk login & password
    • Product serial number (as noted above, use the product serial number instead of the Group ID)
    • Server name (...that your license file resides on)
    • Server ID (aka the MAC Address)

Also, thanks to the OP for the heads-up. It really helped me out.

Login to Give a bone

No Problems!

Thank you for adding that list, that was a very good idea - I wish I'd thought of it myself!

Login to Give a bone

Thanks to all for the information provided. I'll be dealing with this later this year.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jguest View Post
    No Problems!

Thank you for adding that list, that was a very good idea - I wish I'd thought of it myself!
    Teehee, no problem. Feel free to copy/paste and append your initial post with that list if you like.

Login to Give a bone

Is this not just the same as the License Activation Utility, except it works online now rather than the application running on your desktop?

Login to Give a bone

Not come across this issue. Our VAR sorted this out requesting a new licence file from Autodesk on our behalf.
    We provided the old network licence file as a reference and a new one was emailed back within a couple of days.

Is this a service by VAR's that is unique to the UK or are we just very luck to have a helpful VAR?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ejratliff View Post
    Is this not just the same as the License Activation Utility, except it works online now rather than the application running on your desktop?
    Similar, yes, but not quite the same. The desktop version had a merge license file utility that was really helpful, and it asked slightly different questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunkwill View Post
    Not come across this issue. Our VAR sorted this out requesting a new licence file from Autodesk on our behalf.
    We provided the old network licence file as a reference and a new one was emailed back within a couple of days.

Is this a service by VAR's that is unique to the UK or are we just very luck to have a helpful VAR?
    Not unique to the UK, our reseller would have done it had I asked but sometimes it can take a while to get a response with that method. Typically when I"m working with license files I need a response ASAP.

If you've been working with license files for a while then you're fine because you'll remember merging files manually back when that was the only option. For those who are new to the task, though, it can certainly be a challenge sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast