Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone got AutoCad 2010 to deploy with Group policies? I'm having trouble!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Has anyone got AutoCad 2010 to deploy with Group policies? I'm having trouble!

lol unfortunately we're only about 200-300 people but with a small full time IT team and with a mandate to provide large scale type support so all out major applications are deployed. Normally that's fine but occasionally we run into tricky ones ..... like every recent AutoCAD update!

For some reason 2007 was about the last version that deployed with relative ease. after that I think AutoDesk changed the methodology and it went horribly wrong. We had to give up on 2009 in the end as the group responsible just couldn't get it to work. For some reason 2010 then got kicked to me to sort.

The .Net issue is that I think either MS have updated the original SP1 that was a bit buggy or the machines have not installed it correctly. Either way the result is the same - fatal errors and grey hair.
    I'm looking into the WSUS angle to see if it can be removed and the newer more stable update installed. I'll let you know how I get on with that route as it'll affect the entire corporation which is always fun. It may be that I just script the install from a server for those that need it and leave the rest

I've worked out how to get the component parts to install in order now and just have to test it. when that's done, I'll post it up for people.

2011?!? don't even say such things yet! lol

Tim/.

Oh, thanks for the comments on the blog. Always nice to know it is at least vaguely useful to someone other than myself.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Has anyone got AutoCad 2010 to deploy with Group policies? I'm having trouble!

As I said previously, I've got the installs working in order and here's how I did it.

Separate the deployment into two GPOs. The first one updates DirectX 9 via a startup script whilst the second deploys C++, AutoCAD 2010 and synchronises missing files.

I filter these GPOs by group membership so only machines in the "AutoCAD2010" security group will have it applied. Both GPOs are then linked at the same place in the domain.

To make sure the second GPO does not install before DirectX is update I created a WMI filter to look for a certain folder that only exists after the update (c:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\DirectX for Managed Code). This was applied to the second GPO and all was good.

That's it so far and there's been no major issues since. The minor ones are to do with cui/cuix files but I think that's beyond my area of the project ..... fortunately!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I managed to deploy Autocad 2010 by following this guide (page 58 and forward):

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by feldthaus View Post
    I managed to deploy Autocad 2010 by following this guide (page 58 and forward):

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/acad_nag0.pdf
    I think a lot of us have tried to do it that way but failed.

Personally I used that as a basis and then had to do all the troubleshooting of .NET, C++, missing files etc.

Did it work straight through first time with no additions for you?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Hi. From my experience i believe you have tried to installed from the acad.exe which is wrong.

Run setup.exe instead.

If you have an error of the showing installation log file verify location. It means that your computer systems did not set temp string to a temp folder. please go to
    1. control panel
    2. System tab
    3. Advanced system setting
    4. Environment variables...

In the both system and user variables make new or edit the current variable to TEMP and TMP. Set value to C:\temp\.

This should solve your installation problem. Cheers!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by GTO_300 View Post
    Hi. From my experience i believe you have tried to installed from the acad.exe which is wrong.

Run setup.exe instead.

If you have an error of the showing installation log file verify location. It means that your computer systems did not set temp string to a temp folder. please go to
    1. control panel
    2. System tab
    3. Advanced system setting
    4. Environment variables...

In the both system and user variables make new or edit the current variable to TEMP and TMP. Set value to C:\temp\.

This should solve your installation problem. Cheers!
    it's deploying via a group policy and as such works against the msi package and not the executables.

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Has anyone got AutoCad 2010 to deploy with Group policies? I'm having trouble!

So, I am having the same problems as you are all experiencing in trying to deploy AutoCAD 2010 using the MSI and MST files which were created by the deployment wizard.

I have not seen mentioned on this board that, along with the MSI/MST files, there is a silent installer that is also built when you use the deployment wizard. It is created in the root directory in the folder that you specified as the install directory on the server. If you look in that folder you will find a subfolder called "AdminImage" and a folder called "Tools" Also in this folder is a shortcut to the silent installer. In my case it is called "AutoCAD2010" because that's what I named it when using the deployment wizard. When you run this installer it actually installs AutoCAD quite nicely with the options you specified in the deployment wizard. You can then use SCCM or a batch file or whatever method you choose to run the deployment.

The PROBLEM is that Autodesk never wrote an uninstaller. So while they gave is a way to install AutoCAD silently there is no way to uninstall it. Autodesk's solution (admittedly by design) is to go to each computer and use Add/Remove Programs. That, of course, is not an option at a university with over 1,000 lab computers spread out all over campus. Very frustrating!

So far I have found no viable workaround. Our reseller is opening a case with Autodesk but I suspect it will be versions before we see any fixes.

If anyone has figured out how to do a remote uninstall of AutoCAD 2010 it would be appreciated if you could share your methods.

On Monday I will try to repackage the software with Installshield. Not sure I'll have much success but I'm running out of options. I have to have this software installed in three weeks so I will have to come up with something. If I find a viable way of installing and uninstalling AutoCAD I will post my findings.
    Last edited by trota; 2009-08-03 at 10:51 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by trota View Post
    (Autodesk: you FAIL!)
    Yes, I (and many others) really wish they would put some effort into this. I guess they figure that anyone large enough to need mass deployment tools will have something else already like Altiris...
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Has anyone got AutoCad 2010 to deploy with Group policies? I'm having trouble!

Apologies if this has already been asked, but:

Is it possible to create a Ghost image of a machine on which you've already run deployment installs, then roll it out that way? We have a single license server.

In the Imaging section of the manual they talk about some AdLM folder but the description and instructions were sufficiently vague for me to give up.

Would the cloned machines connect and use the license server appropriately?

Login to Give a bone

Lightbulb Re: Has anyone got AutoCad 2010 to deploy with Group policies? I'm having trouble!

Quote Originally Posted by esnay View Post

Is it possible to create a Ghost image of a machine on which you've already run deployment installs, then roll it out that way? We have a single license server.
    I have not tried this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for network licensed copies. All a network licensed copy looks for at startup is an unused license on the LM. The first place it looks for the LM location is the environment variable ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE.

Make sure your master copy has this environment variable included.

See this link for more info: http://cadpanacea.com/node/43
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast