Thread: FMDesktop no longer sold by Autodesk

Login to Give a bone

Default FMDesktop no longer sold by Autodesk

The rumours started awhile ago, about Autodesk no longer selling FMDesktop, but, it looks like it was finally confirmed on their website.

Support and Subscription for current customers will continue through January 31st, 2010, but, no more will be sold by Autodesk.

Please, continue to post questions and comments about your FMD here as long as you're using it. Also, for the non-fmd users, we have the Facilities Management - In Practice forum for all of us, regardless of platform.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: FMDesktop no longer sold by Autodesk

Are we supposed to eat the $7000 we spent to buy it one year ago? Do you know if Autodesk is compensating FMD customers in any way?

Thanks,

Pat

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: FMDesktop no longer sold by Autodesk

Quote Originally Posted by pg.schultz.215515 View Post
    Are we supposed to eat the $7000 we spent to buy it one year ago? Do you know if Autodesk is compensating FMD customers in any way?

Thanks,

Pat
    It was two years ago for me, but, yeah, I assume we're just eating that. And, I'm pretty sure Autodesk will not be compensating anyone for no longer upgrading or supporting the product, I've never heard of them doing it for any other product.

There are other competing products that are offering cross-grade deals at the moment... (some of them in the thread I linked to in my OP).

As an aside, I have trouble believing the original designer of the product will let it die out entirely... *my personal opinion* it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to buy back the product from Autodesk (if legally feasible) and continue to develop it like before Autodesk purchased it.

It's all pure speculation at the moment... I'm just sitting on my data for now and waiting to see what happens, really.

Best of luck to everyone.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: FMDesktop no longer sold by Autodesk

Gee, you would have never guessed this was coming. I have been complaining for over a year that Autodesk wasn't supporting this and wasn't serious about making it work. As far as I could tell, there was only one person at Autodesk working on this and he came from the company that actually created the product. What are the odds that he is now unemployed?

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: FMDesktop no longer sold by Autodesk

Well, part of the question is now settled... what will Autodesk do for FM? Looks like they're going to allow conversions over to FM:Systems, which will be handling service for customers and will further develop to support Revit Architecture (hmm, wonder about Revit MEP?)

I'll post again if I find out anything more...

Here's the announcement from Autodesk, and an informative page from FMSystems:

http://news.autodesk.com/portal/site...09&newsLang=en

http://www.fmsystems.com/fmdesktop/

"""Building upon a shared goal to bring the benefits of BIM to the operations phases of a building’s lifecycle, the two companies will now work together to integrate BIM data from Autodesk software products, such as Autodesk Revit Architecture, with FM:Systems’ facilities software to support enhanced building operation and maintenance."""

There's a conference call in a couple of hours, and I might get the opportunity to ask some questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    The rumours started awhile ago, about Autodesk no longer selling FMDesktop, but, it looks like it was finally confirmed on their website.

Support and Subscription for current customers will continue through January 31st, 2010, but, no more will be sold by Autodesk.

Please, continue to post questions and comments about your FMD here as long as you're using it. Also, for the non-fmd users, we have the Facilities Management - In Practice forum for all of us, regardless of platform.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: FMDesktop no longer sold by Autodesk

During the call, my question about RMEP compatibility was answered right away, thanks!
    They say the aforementioned FMSystems developments will work with the other Revit platforms as well, not just architecture.

(my concern stemmed from some of the FMDesktop vertical caveats mentioned at the bottom of these posts:
    http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspo...-products.html
    and
    http://mistressofthedorkness.blogspo...1-product.html
    )

I'd encourage anyone looking for more details to read/contact via: http://www.fmsystems.com/fmdesktop/fmd_faq.html

I'm sure Shaun Bryant and Robin Capper will probably blog the other details we picked up. If they do, I'll be sure and post links to their commentary.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Well, part of the question is now settled... what will Autodesk do for FM? Looks like they're going to allow conversions over to FM:Systems, which will be handling service for customers and will further develop to support Revit Architecture (hmm, wonder about Revit MEP?)

I'll post again if I find out anything more...

Here's the announcement from Autodesk, and an informative page from FMSystems:

http://news.autodesk.com/portal/site...09&newsLang=en

http://www.fmsystems.com/fmdesktop/
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: FMDesktop no longer sold by Autodesk

Interesting, thanks for the info.