Thread: From AutoCAD 2000i to the latest and greatest.

Login to Give a bone

Default From AutoCAD 2000i to the latest and greatest.

How do you convince a company that is full of old dudes that the latest version of AutoCAD is better than 2000i? We are an Architectural firm that uses ADT 3.0 but only draws using lines and arcs....well you know. I came from a firm that upgraded often and was up on the latest & now work for a firm that doesn't want to "DRAW 3D". The excuse is, the latest is too expensive & drawing in 3d is pointless. I think the problem is they illegally copied AutoCAD from computer to computer and only paid for one licence. Now they have to pay for 10 licenses. But still. Isn't a backhoe better than a shovel? Isn't GPS better than a map? Wouldn't AutoCAD Architecture be better than Vanilla AutoCAD?

Any ammo would be appreciated.

John Ward

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: From AutoCAD 2000i to the latest and greatest.

AutoCAD and any other software is just a tool. No better or no worse than the person using it. 2000i may work just fine for them and they'll sit in their rut.

I do civil and the civil applications have come a long long way. We can do in minutes what took hours and in hours what took weeks or months to do previously. That time savings is what justifies the expense.

The key is to demonstrate time savings and improved design. Then compare that to the cost of licenses, updated/upgraded hardware to run it, training, and overhead cost for template and standards work. It adds up quickly and takes a long time to recoup all of those costs in a small operation. In larger operations it is sometimes easier to begin to get ROI because one template works for 100 or 1,000 people instead of 10 but took the same effort to setup.