See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

View Poll Results: Should AMEP Content Reflect Real-World Sizes?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I definitely need this.

28 93.33%
  • This would be useful.

2 6.67%
  • Nice idea, but I would not use it.

0 0%
  • No, this is not needed, please work on another feature.

0 0%
  • This can already be done.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Actual Content - Not good enough

Login to Give a bone

Default Actual Content - Not good enough

AutoCAD MEP 2010, real changes??

Question: What is the size of 4" conduit?
    Answer: 4.5"

Why is Autodesk still producing content that is blatently wrong? What good is a tool that isn't factual?

Sorry to vent but hey, how about a little help over here? This content is factual for plumbing and HVAC. Let's take a look at the "E" in MEP or we have no choice but to purchase software that actually works for me.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Actual Content - Not good enough

I have been working all day modifying files to get the correct outside diameter... but I am stuck on the annotation. It would really be helpful if AutoDesk would just use the correct measures. I don't think one vote in favor of this is enough!!!

Login to Give a bone

Let me just say that I agree 100%. Let me also say that the HVAC content is anything BUT factual, bordering on complete garbage! The HVAC content is so limited and restricting, it's like driving with the parking break on. Fabrication/Installation drawings created with the stock HVAC content are extremely inaccurate. You're better off using line work.

On the other hand, AMEP with real world HVAC content is a very powerful and intuitive solution.
    Last edited by micaletti; 2009-11-16 at 09:14 PM.

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by darin.marsden View Post

Why is Autodesk still producing content that is blatently wrong? What good is a tool that isn't factual?

Sorry to vent but hey, how about a little help over here? This content is factual for plumbing and HVAC. Let's take a look at the "E" in MEP or we have no choice but to purchase software that actually works for me.
    Preachin' to the choir my friend.

I've been asking for this since ABS 3.3.

Even had a meeting with Autodesk reps at AU 2007 to discuss this issue but still no change.

There is some good 3rd party content for mechanical systems. User buzz and Steven in post 3 above both have some nice content but I haven't seen anything for us electrical detailers.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Actual Content - Not good enough

I think 4'' is just the nominal diameter or trade size.
    Hope autodesk can add outside diamter as a parameter.

Login to Give a bone

"Actual Content - Not good enough" This has been the case since the beginning of the product...We were told by our reseller, when we first acquired about the product, it was was a AEC (Architects,Engineers and Contractors) product. After a few releases of begging for better, and trying to build our own content we were later told by "Autodesk" that the product was not intended for contractor accuracy and detailing.

Bottom line is, if you are looking for a product that is, out of the box, ready for detailing, this is not it! AMEP, is meant more for Engineering firms to design and provide schematic drawings... It is also; not for small firms that cannot afford to have dedicated employees who program and manage the product and it's users.

Oh, and to the OP, the content for HVAC and Plumbing, it is far from factual.
    Last edited by robw1031; 2009-12-06 at 03:39 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I'm HVAC and Mechanical Piping. My main gripe would be not as many real-world fittings for the HVAC side. Many of times I have had to leave an AEC fitting out, and in plan view draw the fitting the way it should be. That goes for take-offs and taps as well. I mean, pipe is pipe. Rectangular is rectangular. When routind duct, that's all good IMHO.

My $0.02.

Login to Give a bone

We are an Electrical Contractor. We've had to create our own catalog of Conduit. It is based on the Piping catalog and we have created actual conduit parts catalogs for EMT, PVC, GRS, IMC... Getting the elbows and bends right was the hardest part, but we actually have something usable now. The only problem with it now is that it has Plumbing Connections and not Electrical Connections. This hasn't been much of a problem, because we are just creating installation drawings, and not doing any load calcs or such with it.

We are getting ready to use Revit for a project, but the more I dig into it, it seems that the Electrical for that is in even worse shape than MEP is...

I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel. I'm really shocked at the lack of Electrical Content in both AutoCAD MEP and Revit.
    Last edited by lcooper; 2010-01-08 at 05:31 PM. Reason: I can't spell...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lcooper View Post
    We are an Electrical Contractor. We've had to create our own catalog of Conduit. It is based on the Piping catalog and we have created actual conduit parts catalogs for EMT, PVC, GRS, IMC... Getting the elbows and bends right was the hardest part, but we actually have something usable now. The only problem with it now is that it has Plumbing Connections and not Electrical Connections. This hasn't been much of a problem, because we are just creating installation drawings, and not doing any load calcs or such with it.

We are getting ready to use Revit for a project, but the more I dig into it, it seems that the Electrical for that is in even worse shape than MEP is...

I feel like I'm reinventing the wheel. I'm really shocked at the lack of Electrical Content in both AutoCAD MEP and Revit.
    I agree Its ok for circuiting branch circuits but it doesnt have a way to represent the main distribution--its almost like you have to do it twice once for conduit /cable tray paths and once for load calcs

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Random Man View Post
    I agree Its ok for circuiting branch circuits but it doesnt have a way to represent the main distribution--its almost like you have to do it twice once for conduit /cable tray paths and once for load calcs
    you wouldnt want to share any of those families would y a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast