Thread: Saving To Central

Login to Give a bone

Default Saving To Central

Does anyone know what is actually happening when you hit the save to central button?

We are having a lot of problems handling a project due to its size (about 100 Mb) On smaller projects we have no troubles with speed. We are experimenting with a few different ideas, none of which so far have made any significant improvement.

One of the things we tried today was upgrading some network lines to 1GB instead of the typical 100 Mb. When watching the task manager and the worksharing monitor system performance screen, it seems that Revit pegs out only 1 core of our quad core machines and is doing something but we dont know what. Its not uploading to the central file because only a few bites of information are transfering. Is it compressing or what? Once that is done the actual upload and download is almost instant, and with 100 Mb it only took a few seconds.

We are using the fastest processors that are available and thats what seems to be holding us back. Any ideas? Our current save to central times are around the 10 minute range, on projects about 20 Mb or so it takes about 30 seconds, if that.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Saving To Central

Quote Originally Posted by bsiegel View Post
    Does anyone know what is actually happening when you hit the save to central button?
    I think it will first reload latest and get all information that has changed there since your last Save to Central, then it will conciliate with the information on your local file and finally save back to central.

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

Right and that process is almost instantaneous. Then you computer sits there and thinks for 9 minutes at 25% cpu (so one core is copletely pegged) and no information is traveling over the wire. Whats going on then?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I don't know much about the processes, but I can verify that Revit only supports single core processing. And my experience has been that Revit always pegs the cpu before it runs out of ram.

With that being said there should be 2 transfers during a stc, the first being a reload latest, and the second being the upload back to the central model. Now in between these it should be trying to reconcile the differences which may be why the processor is pegged. But that still doesn't explain why there is such a huge difference between small and large models. Our model average 40-50 megs and a stc takes about 60 secs.

Sorry if this wasn't a lot of help, Revit is a mystery. But have you tried getting ahold of tech support for the product?

Login to Give a bone

Is your network Ok?
    Are you using the Worksharing monitor?
    Did you compact the central file? Sometime it is amaizing how much the file size is reduced.
    Do you have all the systems OK? A disorganized project might slow Revit to a crawl.

We had several problems because of network issues:
    - Revit would say is unable to locate linked ARCH / STR models (after 20 minutes problem is gone)
    - Worksharing monitor is quite sensitive when it comes to network. Being unable to use it might point to a network problem.
    - Please ensure that the 1GB lines go up to the server (quite obvious, but just checking).

These are not a direct answer, but I hope it might help solving your problem.

Best regards,