Thread: What are you guys using to convert a dwg with an image to pdf format.

Login to Give a bone

Default What are you guys using to convert a dwg with an image to pdf format.

Everytime I trying and print to a pdf with an image attached the damn pdf conversion fails. Do you guys and gals have any programs which do this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What are you guys using to convert a dwg with an image to pdf format.

We've got Adobe Acrobat Pro (versions 8 & 9) installed here and no issue with dropping a DWG (with a jpg background) into a PDF format.

The PDF option that comes with AutoCad has been problematic for us - especially with file sizes (huge files).
    "That's 2 cm difference."
    "How much is that in mm?"

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: What are you guys using to convert a dwg with an image to pdf format.

Quote Originally Posted by s_morgan_b View Post
    We've got Adobe Acrobat Pro (versions 8 & 9) installed here and no issue with dropping a DWG (with a jpg background) into a PDF format.

The PDF option that comes with AutoCad has been problematic for us - especially with file sizes (huge files).
    Yeah the jpg files quality isn't good enough for us. We are using ".sid" and ".tif" file formats. My boss is using abobe 8 I believe and he hasn't had any luck either. I'm using 6 and getting errors.

Login to Give a bone

We use PDFXchange. It is fairly consistent at producing acceptable results.

We recently starting using the new PDF driver from Autodesk for AutoCAD and Civil 3D 2009. It is part of Bonus Pack 2 and is available on the subscription site. So far it has worked well but we have only been using it for a couple of weeks. This bonus pack is not available for LDT and probably never will be so you would have to use C3D to plot your PDFs.
    Jeff Paulsen

Login to Give a bone

I still don't have a working pdf conversion. None the the above referenece programs work. I need something that can handle large file sizes, sid and tif files. We do a lot of large scale mapping and we use photos as back drops for exhibits. LDDT fails 80 percent of the time unless its a really small photo and C3D doesn't even support sid files so thats useless. Any ideas. Don't any of you use high res photos in your exhibits.

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen View Post
    We use PDFXchange. It is fairly consistent at producing acceptable results.

We recently starting using the new PDF driver from Autodesk for AutoCAD and Civil 3D 2009. It is part of Bonus Pack 2 and is available on the subscription site. So far it has worked well but we have only been using it for a couple of weeks. This bonus pack is not available for LDT and probably never will be so you would have to use C3D to plot your PDFs.

Login to Give a bone

I sometimes use big foto files as backdrop on DWG (stitched google earths for instance), the only option then is JPG out and yes its ugly: but you can adjust it by creating a new jpg out style and increase pixels and stuf. max JPG is 10.000pix so stay below 9900x9900.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by wimpandora View Post
    I sometimes use big foto files as backdrop on DWG (stitched google earths for instance), the only option then is JPG out and yes its ugly: but you can adjust it by creating a new jpg out style and increase pixels and stuf. max JPG is 10.000pix so stay below 9900x9900.
    Yeah I'm using otho photos and sid format files and such. I have found nothing that will work yet.

Login to Give a bone

I have finally figured out how to make it work with the oem adobe drivers. I got a 36"x54" large format color image with gis data and parcel boundies layered over the top. I went into the properties for the adobe drivers and clicked on the raster image settings and told it to use a lower resolution converstion for the image among a few other tweaks and it worked perfectly. My computer crunched data for like 10 minutes but got it.

Says in a napolian dynamite's voice "YYYEEESSSSSS!"

I could stop if I wanted to andy.manninen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

we had issues for a while, and still do occasionally. We set the RASTERTHRESHOLD variable to 20000 and the RASTERPERCENT variable to 100 to help spit out PDF's of huge areas. You can also change your DPI setting to 150 (standard is 300?) and the one thing i have noticed is that if you select the plot in background option it will crunch longer on the PDF but is better at getting through without crashing or only outputting half of your print area. Give these a try!

:Cheers:
    Andrew Manninen
    CAD Manager

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jmeyer.186809 View Post
    Everytime I trying and print to a pdf with an image attached the damn pdf conversion fails. Do you guys and gals have any programs which do this?
    I am using a 3rd party converter as I usually need to convert large quanilitis of DWG and DWF into PDF's. The converter I am using is form AutoDWG , I use it a lot in windows command line and it is much easier for me. I always set a high resolution for images, 300dpi or sometimes even higher.