Thread: multiple tabs per drawing or multiple drawings?

Login to Give a bone

Default multiple tabs per drawing or multiple drawings?

Here is the deal,

Right now we have no standard method of base plans and drawing organization.

Users for the most part, work how they have always worked, which varies per person and department. Most users put only one tab per drawing this way others can work on the project at the same time. Although we have a few users and one department (which is only one person) who like to put all sheets in one file. For the most part this has not been a problem since it is only a grouping of lets say elevations or sections. And the one man department doesnt have to worry about others working on his file.

I would like to have a standard method of how we do this. we have about 4 or more people working in each deptarment with the exception of the civil department which is a one man show.

i am trying to sell them on the idea of only having one sheet per file but they do not see the over all picture of why this is important. I am getting alot of resistence from the civil guy specifically, who straight up said to my face "I will not work this way if you plan on implementing this"

They seam to think we are just making rules/standards for no reason and messing with something that is not broken. (when in reality it is)

any ideas/advice?

Thanks

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: multiple tabs per drawing or multiple drawings?

Hi Chris,

There's a pretty good discussion on this topic HERE.

Hope this helps,
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Login to Give a bone

It is easer and more efficient if you have 1 person working on all the drawings to have all the drawing files in 1 CAD file.
    If there is more than one person working on the drawings then it is easer to have separate CAD files.
    From a drawing management point of view it tens to be easer if each CAD file represents each individual drawing. As it is easer to fined each drawing with windows explorer.
    There are CAD management programs such as Sheet Set Manager which will help manage both systems.

All best
    David

Simplicity is the Art of Good Design, everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler

Login to Give a bone

The setup I use is a hybrid between the 2.

Example:
    Street A that has several sheets will be in one drawing. Street B's sheets will be in another drawing.

Building A's plans and sections in one drawing. Building B's plans and sections in another.

Generally for us only one person will work on Street A or Building A, while someone works on the others. So we get the benefit of being able to easily switch between sheets in one drawing, while allowing someone to work on something else to help with the work load. We also have drawings with just one layout. It all depends.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I'm in the Civil field and I use a combination of both.

Plan sheets get a single tab because they are most likely to be worked on by multiple users.

Details and Standard sheets usually get multiple tabs because they are usually setup by one person and then very little is done to them afterwards.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the link, good read, sent it out to my cad team to read.

Quote Originally Posted by stelthorst View Post
    Hi Chris,

There's a pretty good discussion on this topic HERE.

Hope this helps,