See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model Space-based Templates and Leveraging Annotative Objects?

I could stop if I wanted to CEHill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Question Model Space-based Templates and Leveraging Annotative Objects?

Before I start setup and test...

As an experienced AutoCAD production drafter and a fan of layouts AKA paper space, my handful of engineers are more comfortable with model space-based content.

We are in the food chemical processing industry. Engineers will mainly create rudimentary (CAD-wise at least) diagrams. Some generate very limited numbers of mechanical, architectural / structural, and site drawings on occasion.

Instead of creating a series of templates based on a specific inch-based scale (in model space meaning scaled drawing borders, text, and dimensions styles), is it possible to use annotative-based text, dimensions, etc. outside of the layout-based viewport paradigm?

Clint

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Model Space-based Templates and Leveraging Annotative Objects?

Quote Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
    Before I start setup and test...

As an experienced AutoCAD production drafter and a fan of layouts AKA paper space, my handful of engineers are more comfortable with model space-based content.

We are in the food chemical processing industry. Engineers will mainly create rudimentary (CAD-wise at least) diagrams. Some generate very limited numbers of mechanical, architectural / structural, and site drawings on occasion.

Instead of creating a series of templates based on a specific inch-based scale (in model space meaning scaled drawing borders, text, and dimensions styles), is it possible to use annotative-based text, dimensions, etc. outside of the layout-based viewport paradigm?

Clint
    As far as I know, annotative scaling of objects doesn't just apply to layouts/paper space, you use them in model space too, and set your CANNOSCALE.
    You can create your template(s) with annotative MLeaders/Mtext, Dimensions, Symbols etc. in Model Space (don't forget to assign the many scales you intend to use to all those objects).
    Your people can work in model space to their heart's content.

Then I suggest you set up your layouts in paperspace with your intended sheet sizes that you expect to produce/plot/print.
    Then simply scale your viewport(s) accordingly (to a scale matching one of our annotation scales that fits the sheet) when you're ready to create a sheet.

HTH
    Last edited by tedg; 2022-09-09 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added info

Login to Give a bone

Thanks a million, tedg! Now, I can focus on setting up engineering discipline-specific content/symbols instead of tediously setting up many text, dimension, and other styles. Yay!

The part-time CAD users, who prefer model space, can simply resize the borders to standard inch-based scales and set the CANNOSCALE.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    As far as I know, annotative scaling of objects doesn't just apply to layouts/paper space, you use them in model space too, and set your CANNOSCALE.
    You can create your template(s) with annotative MLeaders/Mtext, Dimensions, Symbols etc. in Model Space (don't forget to assign the many scales you intend to use to all those objects).
    Your people can work in model space to their heart's content.

Then I suggest you set up your layouts in paperspace with your intended sheet sizes that you expect to produce/plot/print.
    Then simply scale your viewport(s) accordingly (to a scale matching one of our annotation scales that fits the sheet) when you're ready to create a sheet.

HTH
    To clarify my task, my users will complete all drawings in model space only; scaling drawing borders to surround 1:1 scale content.

I received advice from another via reseller technical support stating that annotative objects require a layout / viewport to leverage their scaling functionality.

A test starts.

Login to Give a bone

To clarify my task, my users will complete all drawings in model space only; scaling drawing borders to surround 1:1 scale content.

I received advice from another via reseller technical support stating that annotative objects require a layout / viewport to leverage their scaling functionality.
    I agree that you should be creating layouts/viewports with a 1:1 title block and let the annotative objects do their thing.
    It's much easier for plotting and everything

But you "can" do all the work in MS (as I thought you mentioned your people are doing?) by setting the CANNOSCALE while in MS and scaling the title block as needed.
    (but I agree, you should be dong the work in MS and have PS layouts with viewports and 1:1 title blocks)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Absolutely perfect with the excellent visuals and needed to significantly reduce my template setup time, I greatly appreciate your interest and time spent in crafting your responses.

Thanks!!!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    I agree that you should be creating layouts/viewports with a 1:1 title block and let the annotative objects do their thing.
    It's much easier for plotting and everything

But you "can" do all the work in MS (as I thought you mentioned your people are doing?) by setting the CANNOSCALE while in MS and scaling the title block as needed.
    (but I agree, you should be dong the work in MS and have PS layouts with viewports and 1:1 title blocks)
    So, in your example the single scale shows. When an annotative object is selected in your file, are there several scales highlighted? In my screenshot below, it's the other annotative text that shows.
    ANNOALLVISIBLE is set to "1" to show only the current CANNOSCALE when NOT selected.

Is there a command that will hide other annotative scales when an annotative object is selected?
    (Their appearance might be distracting/unsettling to novice users here).

Thanks,
    Clint

Example When Selected - Annotative Text.jpg

Login to Give a bone

So, in your example the single scale shows. When an annotative object is selected in your file, are there several scales highlighted? In my screenshot below, it's the other annotative text that shows.
    ANNOALLVISIBLE is set to "1" to show only the current CANNOSCALE when NOT selected.

Is there a command that will hide other annotative scales when an annotative object is selected?
    (Their appearance might be distracting/unsettling to novice users here).

Thanks,
    Clint
    I don't think so, I have my "ANNOALLVISIBLE" set to "0" so you only see the proper scaled objects that match the "CANNOSCALE" (when not selected).
    But as far as selecting them, I think you will always get the highlighted scaled objects for all the assigned scales, helps to know that they are annotative (btw moving the objects is better than stretching them, you can get unexpected results if you stretch them).

I have another question, what is the range of scales that your users are expected to need?
    They need to be starting out drafting at a reasonable scale for what they're doing right?

You could technically have a couple of templates that have a "tighter range" so there would just a few assigned scales per template, that aren't a vast contrast to each other to help avoid the size confusion.
    for instance:

"RANGE 1" Diagrams (basic)
    scales:
    1:1
    6"=1'-0"
    3"=1'-0"

"RANGE 2" Details
    1 1/2"=1'-0"
    3/4"=1'-0"
    1/2"=1'-0"

"RANGE 3" Building Plans / Elevations
    3/8"=1'-0"
    1/4"=1'-0"
    1/8"=1'-0"

(and so on)

Login to Give a bone

As you can see by the Help file, I have a mechanical background and cut my AutoCAD full version design teeth +11 years using AutoCAD Mechanical.
    Now in the chemical processing field and starting Plant 3D, Toolsets leverages my Mechanical background for equipment. Yay!

Your suggestions have been very valuable so far.

I did notice the Help file provided insights on ANNOALLVISIBILE. It appears that a setting of "0" will yield the desired results.

ACAD Help ANNOALLVISIBLE.jpg

Thanks,
    Clint

Login to Give a bone

As you can see by the Help file, I have a mechanical background and cut my AutoCAD full version design teeth +11 years using AutoCAD Mechanical.
    Now in the chemical processing field and starting Plant 3D, Toolsets leverages my Mechanical background for equipment. Yay!

Your suggestions have been very valuable so far.

I did notice the Help file provided insights on ANNOALLVISIBILE. It appears that a setting of "0" will yield the desired results.

Thanks,
    Clint
    Yes, that's what I meant, that I have my "ANNOALLVISISBLE" set to "0" so you only see the current scaled object. It's when you "select" it will show the ghosts of the others.
    I thought that was your problem, when you selected it and saw those.

Sounds like you're all set now?

(cheers)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast