Thread: Question about hierarchy of visibility setting in multiple filters applied to the same view

Login to Give a bone

Default Question about hierarchy of visibility setting in multiple filters applied to the same view

I have two filters: One is 'HVAC Equipment' and selects for the Mechanical Equipment category. The other is 'HVAC' and selects for all HVAC related categories (Air Terminals, Duct Accessories, Duct, etc., including Mechanical Equipment).

According to the Revit documentation, a filter higher up on the filter list takes priority over a lower filter. Logically, if the 'HVAC Equipment' filter is enabled and visible, then Mechanical Equipment in the view should be visible, regardless of the visibility settings for the 'HVAC' filter.

This isn't the case. If the visible setting for the 'HVAC' filter is cleared, then Mechanical Equipment is invisible regardless of the 'HVAC Equipment' filter settings. These filters interact as expected for other filter settings, just not for visibility.

Am I missing something really obvious here or is this a known issue?

Thanks for any help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Question about hierarchy of visibility setting in multiple filters applied to the same view

Does your "HVAC Equipment" filter have any overrides assigned to it?

Based on a quick test, it appears the Visibility checkbox does not operate on the expected hierarchy as the other overrides do (probably because it's not an override, but a "turn off" action).

If I were needing this, I would exclude the Mechanical Equipment category from your HVAC filter (and rename it "excl Equip" or something similar). Then you can use the two filters mutually exclusive of each other (and yes, you'd need to turn two things off if you want the entire HVAC system to disappear).

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Question about hierarchy of visibility setting in multiple filters applied to the same view

Well, in any universe that makes sense to me, the visibility check box in the filter is 'overriding' the visibility checkbox in the other revit category tabs. After thinking about your response for a minute though, I figured out what you meant: other filter settings are applying a value rather than toggling a state. I tested this theory out with the Halftone toggle and it (mal)functions just like the Visibility toggle.

So kudos to you for figuring this out, but brickbats to Revit for yet another ridiculous, program design inconsistency