See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Setting up AutoCAD 2007 in a network environment

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Setting up AutoCAD 2007 in a network environment

OK, before i get into my question here is my disclaimer; I just started working at this firm in April and I have succeeded in getting them to upgrade to RevIt Building Series. However, we are going from ACAD 2000 to 2007, quite a big jump. I have very little experience using anything beyond 2004 and no experience customizing anything beyond 2004.

So, I need some advice/direction on where to look for information to set-up a network installation. The current set-up for 2000 is such a cluster f*!#@ and they allowed the IT guy to install 2007 it already the same way. Right now everybody has their own copy of the menu file and it's buried about 12 folders deep some place on the server. Is this how its supposed to be? I'm all for individual users being able to turn toolbars on & off or set up some personal keyboard shortcuts but when I modify the menu or create custom palettes etc, I only want to go to one file.

My main question is where is the best place to go to learn how this new file structure works and learn it quickly before it gets too out of hand?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Setting up AutoCAD 2007 in a network environment

Okay, for toolbars, custom commands etc, these would be stored in user profiles. Custom user profiles are created in Acad on a pc but it might be an idea to export all profiles to a single location on a server, that way anybody could import their profile onto any machine, or at least have a backup if they got messed up. I guess it depends if a pc is only used by a single individual.

As far as tool palettes, plot settings, templates and other support files, I would put them on a server and make them read only so that only you can edit them (if thats your role).

As far as tutorials go, take alook at the education link at the top of the page, there is some good information in the ATP's and the AU handouts. If you go to the Autodesk AU site you can get access to AU2006 handouts which specifically relate to release 2007.

Also take a look at DGCads website (put dgcad into google) they have video tutorials which explain how to set tool palettes up over a network (they are v good).

I guess it really depend how big your company is and to what extent you want to go.

If you have any specific questions or run into any problems then ask away and I'll be happy to help if I can.

Have a good one.

Edit - also don't forget the help within Acad there is alot of info there.
    Last edited by H'Angus; 2006-12-06 at 10:51 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Setting up AutoCAD 2007 in a network environment

Hi

You will find there are a number of methods / ways to set-up AutoCAD in a network environment, each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Searching within the forums will turn up lots of helpful / useful information on setting up AutoCAD in a network environment...

Have a good one, Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

How can I access the AU Handouts. I just went to Autodesk's web site and couldn't find any links and nothing turned up when I did a search?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by thomasf
    How can I access the AU Handouts. I just went to Autodesk's web site and couldn't find any links and nothing turned up when I did a search?
    Hi

If you attended AU 2006 go here...

Autodesk University Online

Otherwise AUGI hosts AU class handouts from previous years ( fingers-crossed AUGI will soon have the class handouts from AU 2005 )...

Autodesk University Course Handouts

Have a good one, Mike

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Or you can go here for this years hand outs (relating to 2007 release), you just need to register and follow the links.

http://au.autodesk.com/sessions/