See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't delete or move objects-Corrupt File??

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't delete or move objects-Corrupt File??

Yeah, it's wierd, a lot of the stuff didn't seem like to big of deal, obviously, I ignored most of them! But going through the tedious task of taking care of them was well worth it.

Is there a better way to go through it though? I had so many, mainly because I had copied design options and made major changes to walls that were previously attached or joined to other elements, then after the changes, they weren't. But I found myself going through the list, then hightliging one error element at a time, then writing down a description of the two elements, what they were and where, then closing down the error box and going to each individual element and doing whatever it was I had to do. I guess the proper way is to not ignore warnings!

Funny thing, I didn't know the review warnings dialog even existed before this?!

Josh

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ford347
    Yeah, it's wierd, a lot of the stuff didn't seem like to big of deal, obviously, I ignored most of them! But going through the tedious task of taking care of them was well worth it.

Is there a better way to go through it though? I had so many, mainly because I had copied design options and made major changes to walls that were previously attached or joined to other elements, then after the changes, they weren't. But I found myself going through the list, then hightliging one error element at a time, then writing down a description of the two elements, what they were and where, then closing down the error box and going to each individual element and doing whatever it was I had to do. I guess the proper way is to not ignore warnings!

Funny thing, I didn't know the review warnings dialog even existed before this?!

Josh
    I filed one of those feedback communications on this very issue: How necessary it is to be able to expedite he warning review process, and about needing a more user friendly dialogue box, with more options then "delete."

Write one in too! LOL...

Login to Give a bone

yes, that would be great to have more options than delete, say if the problem was elements are joined but do not intersect, have the button correspond with the error and to give you the option to un-join geometry....etc. This would be incredibly handy and could save a ton of mistakes, errors and time.

Josh

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I made a few hypothetical suggestions, that i personally thought would work well.

One was a dialogue that allowed you to stay fully editable. This WAS the trouble with "Edit Group" and its WAY better in RA2008. Now, if we could have the options to show the elements, but also click on them and use Unjoin / Join geometry, grab endpoints, alter things, etc, we could probably clean them up much faster.

The BIG one that i wanted was some sort of notification that a warning has been resolved. NOT a popup like we get now (that would be annoying).

But maybe i enter the warning dialogue, and make a bunch of changes to clean out fifteen warnings. Maybe they have red bullets that turn green when i edit something that fixes it (because im fully editable while im in there...) Then you click the "apply" button or whatever, and they disappear.

Just a few thoughts...

All AUGI, all the time tc3dcad60731's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You know I did not even know that was there either.....

Last night I discovered that an exterior wall was not the right thickness so it let me change one but not the rest. It kept giving me "circular chain of reference error" and it would alternate which wall it referred to. This blew my mind! I am going to give this a shot and see what happens because right now the only option is to delete the exterior walls and redo everything. ( I mean the windows, doors, sections, dimensions, etc.) I cannot afford this since I have 3 other houses to do in the next few weeks!

Thanks for sharing!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I had similar situation couple of months ago where I couldn't change a wall nor delete it. Sent the file to Autodesk to look into it and never heard back from them. Ended up moving the wall far below and creating a new one.

Login to Give a bone

I would like the error messages to be color coded, ie if its an error/warning that you really need to fix it should be Red and blinking, if its something you should come back to yellow/orange, if its just one of revits need to know tidbits its green.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

All AUGI, all the time tc3dcad60731's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sbrown
    I would like the error messages to be color coded, ie if its an error/warning that you really need to fix it should be Red and blinking, if its something you should come back to yellow/orange, if its just one of revits need to know tidbits its green.
    Sounds like a good wishlist item to me!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I am having the same problem with my current project file. I have resolved most of the error messages. There are 3 error messages that I can not delete; those error ID elements deals with the different wall types. I have tried to move, copy, offset, edit element or change wall type but Revit will not allow me to change anything with these elements that are giving me the serious error and continue without save.

anybody with any clue?

Thanks,

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by ford347 View Post
    So I have an update for the funky file. Autodesk came through on Monday morning. Got a hold of me at 6:15am. I had been working away for about an hour-1/2 so far, so it timed out really well. They researched my file througout the day and wrote back and let me know that by going through the 'review errors' feature under the tools menu, that by taking care of most of those errors, it had free'd up the elements that were not deleting, moving etc. I didn't even know that was there by the way. There were a lot of them, mostly to do with joined geometry, over-lapping lines etc. So I unjoined a ton of geometry, then re-joined it, and it free'd most everything up. Apparently if you cut an element that is having a problem, this somehow helps, so I did that to a stubborn wall, then was able to start manipulating it again.

Hope this helps someone sometime.
    Josh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12