See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autodesk making it very hard for education! Does any one have the same problem?

Login to Give a bone

Default Autodesk making it very hard for education! Does any one have the same problem?

Hello,
    I have a question for the AUGI forum. I teach drafting at a small college in Utah. This year I'm faced with a big problem, Auto Desk has raised the educational price for their products so high that this year my small budget can't cover the cost for the one year license. My question is: is there an alternate CAD program that I can use and teach the students the basics of CAD drafting? After 20 years of using Auto CAD I hate to learn another program to teach my students. But, I have no choice in the matter. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I teach Revit 9, Auto CAD 2007, and Inventor or may I say I used to teach.

Thank you,

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Autodesk making it very hard for education! Does any one have the same problem?

Most of the IntelliCAD flavors are pretty reasonable.
    See http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com/2006/1...-versions.html for some options.

They are all, for the most part, clones of AutoCAD and therefore look and feel like it.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk making it very hard for education! Does any one have the same problem?

are you not able to use the free educational versions to teach with? as long as you can deal with the "educational version" watermark i dont see why this wouldnt work. you may also be able to get some sort of site license from autodesk as an educational institution. from what i remember we had a site license at UK when i was a student - but the university also had several hundred seats with access to CAD software.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk making it very hard for education! Does any one have the same problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    are you not able to use the free educational versions to teach with? as long as you can deal with the "educational version" watermark i dont see why this wouldnt work.
    That's a good point. Also, teaching them AutoCAD 2007 is better than not teaching them AutoCAD from an industry standard point of view. AutoCAD knowledge is AutoCAD knowledge, even if its a bit out of date.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for the information, I need to find out if their pricing falls within my budget.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_C
    are you not able to use the free educational versions to teach with? as long as you can deal with the "educational version" watermark i dont see why this wouldnt work. you may also be able to get some sort of site license from autodesk as an educational institution. from what i remember we had a site license at UK when i was a student - but the university also had several hundred seats with access to CAD software.
    Hello Chad,
    As far as I know we can't use the free educational version. We have to pay a set amount each year for the educational license. I don't mind paying for it, but in the last three years has tripled in cost making it prohibitive for us to obtain. If I could use the free version I wouldn't mind the ugly water mark. After all, we are not making money drafting for people. We are teaching students on How to use Auto Desk products so when they go out to industry they can be familiar with the programs and be productive.

Thank you for your imput.

Elias

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by eliasvperez
    We have to pay a set amount each year for the educational license. ... After all, we are not making money drafting for people. We are teaching students on How to use Auto Desk products so when they go out to industry they can be familiar with the programs and be productive.
    Why would Autodesk charge anything for an EDU setup at an established university of college? It makes no sense. They should be paying colleges to install and teach AutoCAD.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

AFAIK we are still selling EDU versions at the same price as last year.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rkmcswain
    Most of the IntelliCAD flavors are pretty reasonable.
    See http://rkmcswain.blogspot.com/2006/1...-versions.html for some options.

They are all, for the most part, clones of AutoCAD and therefore look and feel like it.
    I played around with intelliCAD for a while, it runs, looks and smells exactly like autocad. the commands are identical as well. The only thing different is the icons.

We use there ArchT program for our residential use. its a great program to use on top of autocad.

Login to Give a bone

Hello Thomas, if the price is the same as last year then why I've been asked to pay more than double compared to last year? My small budget can't cover the cost this year. So I'm looking else where for alternate programs to teach my students. It is sad to let Auto Desk products go but I have no other alternative.

Thank you,

Elias

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast