See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Excel Spreadsheet wrong size insert & Linking

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Excel Spreadsheet wrong size insert & Linking

I have a simple two column Excel spreadsheet that I need to Link into a dwg that will update as the equipment index changes. When I OLE it into my drawing I only get 10 rows out of 40 rows. I can go to the computer next to me and it imports perfectly. Gave up and had my co-worker OLE it for me. I opened the drawing and it was perfect. Scaled it to fit and saved and still okay. Got out of the drawing and came back into it a bit later. Now I am back to displaying only 10 rows out of the 40. Went to a blank drawing and imported the same spreadsheet and it came in fine on my machine. Opened up the drawing containing the messed up spreadsheet and it now displays correctly. Does anyone know of a variable or setting that would cause this strange behavior. I have spent almost 1 hour reading all of the info in the HELP section and I could not find anything specific that might be causing this. Really need to know what might be causing this as I need to be able to reliably open the drawing and plot it. Thanks a bunch for your help, Jack Foster.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Excel Spreadsheet wrong size insert & Linking

Quote Originally Posted by jack.foster
    I have a simple two column Excel spreadsheet that I need to Link into a dwg that will update as the equipment index changes. When I OLE it into my drawing I only get 10 rows out of 40 rows. I can go to the computer next to me and it imports perfectly. Gave up and had my co-worker OLE it for me. I opened the drawing and it was perfect. Scaled it to fit and saved and still okay. Got out of the drawing and came back into it a bit later. Now I am back to displaying only 10 rows out of the 40. Went to a blank drawing and imported the same spreadsheet and it came in fine on my machine. Opened up the drawing containing the messed up spreadsheet and it now displays correctly. Does anyone know of a variable or setting that would cause this strange behavior. I have spent almost 1 hour reading all of the info in the HELP section and I could not find anything specific that might be causing this. Really need to know what might be causing this as I need to be able to reliably open the drawing and plot it. Thanks a bunch for your help, Jack Foster.
    hmm, this is a limitation from some earlier releases... which version are you using?

also, check out the similar threads links at the bottom of this page to find threads like Linking Excel Files in dwg (ole)
    good luck!
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Excel Spreadsheet wrong size insert & Linking

Thanks for the reply and I will check out the additional threads. Currently my crazy system finally allowed me to bring in the file linked okay. However, then I could not print it as it reverted back to the few lines of original insertion problem. Now when I open the drawing it may open and be fine and the next time I open it I only see 8 or 9 rows instead. I have no idea what is causing the fluctuation from time to time when I open the drawing. My co-workers computer displays it correctly and prints it correctly which is at least a nice workaround. Almost forgot I am running windows xp pro and xecel 2003 and acad 2005. Thanks, Jack.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Excel Spreadsheet wrong size insert & Linking

Hi

Have a browse of the following thread in the AutoCAD FAQ forum -

Working with OLE (eg Excel) Objects within a drawing file

Have a good one, Mike