See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wacom Tablet Rocks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Wacom Tablet Rocks!

Very nice setup William (do you really need all those keyboards though?)

I'm about ready to enter the next phase so I'm looking at different options. I can either buy a tablet PC and have the mobility edge or simply buy a Cintiq and add it on to my existing PC.

Can you give some feedback on them? I take it they are both cintiq models that you have running just different versions. I notice Wacom only sell the 21inch model now.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Umm, well, the keyboards relate to the number of PCs attached - incidentally one keyboard is a renovated ancient-but-indestructible IBM keyboard, for touch typing.

I have 3 multi-processor PCs attached but to save power I normally leave the one on far left turned off as it is the oldest and mainly used for scanning, although sometimes I use that screen as a Clone of the middle one for client discussions in the office so that they don't have to look over my shoulder all the time. When all 3 PCs are in use I use the Wacom conventional tablet to enable the same Intuos 3 pen to work on all 3 machines.

The Cintiqs are exquisite - and they are so comfortable to use for extended periods.
    However, I do not think the 21" models could realistically be held on your lap for any length of time, as shown in adverts - they are too heavy and the 'umbilical cord' attached to the graphics card is heavy duty and not terribly flexible.

I preferred the slightly older models which had a 'tracing paper' surface with a slight give under pressure, and it extended the full size of the tablet, but the newest models have a harder, brighter screen as a result of ditching that. I am not sure if the change was for economy or user preference.

I've not got into Tablet PCs - my brother has an HP model which is OK, but I would not want to work on it for any length of time.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for that. One issue raised earlier seems to be the issue of having the hand obscure what you're working on. Do you find this a problem?

Also, I've found a YouTube video where one guy uses a two fingered glove (pinkie and ring) made of cloth so, presumably, his hand can slide across the tablet easier. Is there any problem in having your hand, or even the arm, contact the screen for any length of time?

Hope you don't mind all the questions William. Given you have two Cintiq's I'd class you as an authority on them and value your comments.

Login to Give a bone

Hmm - it's a bit like having an old drawing board - dust and stuff falls on it - I use one of those microfibre cloths to wipe the surface.
    My older Cintiq is a bit scuffed but you don't see that in use, only when it is turned off.

Even with Revit I have left the default browser position on the left - you just get used to it.

For some things a mouse is useful - if only for a change - but mostly I just use the pen... as with real pens I have a bad habit of sticking it in my mouth when typing... Yuk

Login to Give a bone

Sounds too natural to not take advantage of. Thanks for the comments William.

The landscape in this technology is changing fast with Microsoft's introduction of Surface, Apple's iPhone and rumoured Multitouch computers. I wonder how Wacom plans to maintain it's existence in face of these new trends.

Login to Give a bone

For those thinking about getting into using a tablet, now is probably a great time. Wacom has now released the Bamboo model.
    Compared to my older Graphire 3 model which I bought for the same price as the Bamboo is going for, this model now has a touch sensitive scrolling/zooming pad and 4 programmable buttons. And it looks sh1t hot.

Here in Australia, they retail for about AU$120, which really isn't a lot. Apparently the pen that comes with the Bamboo has replaceable pen nibs, with means an entire new pen isn't required when the nib wears down.

I think I will be replacing my Graphire 3 with this model soon.

Login to Give a bone

Well my new Bamboo tablet has arrived and after some playing around with it I have some comments.

Firstly, the pen use on the tablet. Compared to my previous Graphire 3 model, this one is very responsive and accurate. The pen tactile feel on the surface is smoooooth, kind of like a high quality ball point pen on paper. The tablet is very thin and has a fairly small footprint on my desk.
    My old Graphire 3 has a plastic cover over the tablet area, which I found scratched very easily and in the end made it hard to move the pen when in 'dragging' mode. The Bamboo has what looks to be a hard surface which looks like it might stand up to scratching. Only time will tell. I have set my pressure sensitivity down to minimal, so this might help.
    The programmable buttons are just that, nothing special there, but they do have a high gloss finish which attracts finger marks

The Touch Ring is a bit iffy. You can pretty much forget using it in Revit as it is way too slow, and is very jerky when scrolling in Acrobat. But when used in applications like web browsers and MS Office, I find it to be smooth. The Very Fast setting for scroll speed is still not what I would call fast. Hopefully, Wacom might release a new driver which might speed things up.

Overall, the Bamboo shoots the socks off my previous model, and for the price is an extremely good entry level tablet. 4/5

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I just read through all 9 pages of this post (sad, i know...) and i have a really stupid question:

I have a convertible Tablet PC, and ive used Revit on it, which is great because im looking right at the screen while i tap things with the pen.

These Wacoms though, does anything show up on them? Are are you drawing on them and looking at your screen? Or is it like my tabloet convertible, where the screen IS the drawing surface? Sorry for such a dumb question, LOL...

Login to Give a bone

They act similar to a mouse. You hover the pen over the tablet (no screen), up to 10mm above, and the movements are tracked on screen. The hover distance is a little tricky at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly. While I haven't used one, I would expect all other functions should be like a Tablet PC.

I wish I had a Tablet PC .

Login to Give a bone

The only Wacoms that act like your tablet PC screen are the Cintiq models - they combine a LCD screen with the Intuos 3 pen/tablet technology.
    http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/
    Last edited by ws; 2007-08-28 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Edit to clean up URL

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast