Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unenclosed rooms madness

Login to Give a bone

Default Unenclosed rooms madness

We have a church project with a large addition to an existing church building, and then the interior of the existing building is getting completely rearranged. So all interior walls of the existing building are demolished, exterior walls remain, and then there will be new interior walls in the existing building.

So I was working over in the addition area, did several things, and suddenly noticed when I zoomed out that ALL new rooms in my existing building have become "unenclosed". I checked all the walls, and all have the top and bottom constraints at the same level, and the room objects are all on the same level as the walls. All walls are still set to "room bounding", and yet they don't seem to be enclosing anything.

I know it's something simple I'm overlooking. What could it be?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Unenclosed rooms madness

Some more info:

The existing building has 2 different floor levels, one 6" higher than the other. The lower level is called "Orig. F.F." and the higher level is called "Sanc. F.F."

Now the main floor plan view I'm working in, which has room color fills showing, is set to the Orig FF level. The Sanc FF level does not have a plan view associated with it. All the rooms on this Sanc FF level are the ones saying it's not enclosed.

I discovered that when a room object has all 4 surrounding walls set to the base constraint of Orig FF, then it becomes enclosed. But when it's set to Sanc FF (which is the correct base level for these rooms), it becomes Not Enclosed.

It appears that when a room object is placed, it references whatever level your plan view references to. It does not reference to the current work plane, and you can't change the level reference of the room object.

So I made another plan view referencing the Sanc FF level (6" higher), placed room objects, and it seemed to work.

But here's what's crazy! I opened a previous version of the file from yesterday, and all rooms are enclosed correctly, DESPITE the walls sitting at Sanc FF and the room object referencing Orig FF. What is the deal??

Login to Give a bone

I just started a blank project, drew 4 walls, placed a room object, then moved the base of the walls up 6", even 12" and the room remained enclosed as it should.

So I don't understand why a difference of 6" of the wall's base level is affecting these rooms being enclosed or not.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Patricks,

Please check the type parameters of your Level element. (Select it in an elevation view for example).

Uncheck "Automatic Room computation height" and set a height (measured as an offset from the level's height) to something reasonable. It is useful if you set the plan view's cut plane height to exactly match that height to see where the room bounds are.

Automatic comp height is set to 4' by default, but based on various connectivity analysis it occassionally changes to 0", which I suspect is the case in your model.

(You can simulate this by setting comp height to 0" manually and see if rooms start to become unenclosed.)

Please let us know if it made any difference.

Tamas

Login to Give a bone

Rooms seemed to behave normally in a new project, even if the bottom of the walls are above the room's associated level, and the levels are set with Automatic Room Computation Height turned on by default.

Haven't had a chance to try it in our actual project. My boss is actually who is working on it, not me, and he already created an additional plan view from that Sanc FF level to deal with the room enclosure issues.

Login to Give a bone

This probably wouldn't answer how you got into this to begin with but moving forward, instead of creating a new level for the 6" difference, could you use a Plan Region and adjust the view range to relate to the lower/upper level?

Login to Give a bone

Why would I not want different levels? The existing building was built at different times with different floor levels.

I created the 2 different floor levels way back several weeks ago when I was putting the existing building into Revit. The problem we're having now just happened yesterday while my boss was working on the new addition portion of the building.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

There is some awkward behavior between walls, rooms, and levels, for sure. For instance (as youve discovered) walls that are hosted by the same level as the room bound that room, even though the walls may not physically be in the space at all.

For instance: Build a facade that comes back over the roof of the building, and make those walls (which exist in reality only ON THE ROOF) have their base level be the T.O. SLAB. Then attach the base of the walls to the roof. Then place a room in a Plan that references T.O. SLAB... Sure enough, those walls (which are not in the space at all) WILL cut a chunk out of that room.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Another good example: For WHATEVER reason, someone took a project where they made a basement view by duplicating the First Floor Plan, then they dropped the view range to -7'-0" or something, so they could see the entire basement. (Yes, i know its entirely the wrong way to make the view, lol).

They were trying to place rooms in that view, and they were creating redundant rooms on the first floor, LOL...

Login to Give a bone

Well I would try to post a portion of the file, but as soon as I copy/paste a few walls to a blank file, it behaves correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast