See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: QGIS Error | Entry Point Not Found

Login to Give a bone

Default QGIS Error | Entry Point Not Found

Been a while since I've needed to work with File GDB... Last time I did was a few years ago, at which point QGIS was invaluable... But we've long since replaced those workstations and haven't needed it again until today.

I went to install the latest version, but despite installing OSGeo4W / Standalone flavors, I still cannot complete the installation process or successfully launch the app even if I can get it installed, without being presented with repeated "Entry Point Not Found" error messages.

The DLL's listed in the various error messages either simply don't exist on my system at all, or they're located exactly where the error message says they should be (and still cannot be accessed for some reason)... Qt5Sql.dll, Qt5Concurrent.dll, Qca-Qt5.dll, etc to list a few.

I've searched this quite a bit and still haven't found a fix.

I've even tried uploading File GDB to some web-based converters to no avail, as it is either too large or incomplete.

Any chance someone else uses QGIS + File GDB and knows how to get it working?

TIA
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: QGIS Error | Entry Point Not Found

Okay, so I take it that not many are using QGIS these days. Haha

Besides ESRI ArcGIS (Catalog, Desktop, Map, Pro, etc), what software do you use to access .MDB & .GDB files so you can export Shapefiles?

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I use ArcGis, do you need some help converting?
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jobe View Post
    I use ArcGis, do you need some help converting?
    Nah, but I greatly appreciate the offer, Ed.

I figured this out (sort of) before leaving the office yesterday... Still not sure why the 64-bit installer fails, but the 32-bit installer succeeded on first try and the app works a treat. I now have access to all projects on the server, File GDB and Personal MDB natively from a single app (that's also free).

When I wasn't able to get the 64-bit QGIS install to take, we (my engineer for that project, the owner and I) discussed it and ended up deciding to go ahead with procuring a $1,500 ESRI ArcGIS Desktop seat.

Well, ArcGIS is not going to work either. It's an unnecessarily complex workflow to gain access to .MDB (ArcCatalog --> ArcMap prerequisite), then I still need to use ArcMap to export Shapefiles to local disk as only some projects on server are accessible from ArcMap, then move to those to project on server via File Explorer... And that doesn't even address the bill of goods they sold us that our single seat would be able to convert from Named User License --> Concurrent Use + License Manager (the documentation only mentions converting Named User --> Concurrent, no Single Use limitation), when 3 tech support callbacks later does it come to light that they only sold us Single Use and not Network license, but we could get that for the low, low price of just another $2K on top of our $1,500. Pffffffttttt!

Paying $3,500 for a single network license and a workflow 4x as complex, when I could instead have a free app that's more efficient & effective... I'm not about that life.

Despite all of this, ESRI is about to refund us the $1,500 +/- 36 hours after purchase, I've got the owner all of the same functionality we needed for free (thanks to QGIS), and all right before the holidays... Increasing the prospect of a higher $Bonus$... I'm all about that life.

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

If you install ArcMap, you might find that it's 32 bit as well. Mine is (10.2.1). The only problem is that I can't use Map 3D to connect to an SDE instance. 10.6.1 that just came out uses the latest Net framework.

Login to Give a bone

If you install ArcMap, you might find that it's 32 bit as well. Mine is (10.2.1). The only problem is that I can't use Map 3D to connect to an SDE instance. 10.6.1 that just came out uses the latest Net framework.
    I did install ArcMap (as part of ArcGIS Desktop), but it is being de-authorized, uninstalled and refunded accordingly.

Curious to know if you've tinkered with QGIS at all, being that you use ArcGIS? It (QGIS) obviously doesn't come with the schnazzy online services/publishing bits, or the seizure-enducing multi-page redirecting/reloading 'My Esri' account page, and I'm sure for anyone who's a dedicated ArcGIS person QGIS is lacking in other ways, etc... But still curious to see if even you don't find it easier to use?

Hrrmm.... Now that I think of it, at some point, being that my only real use for either is to export specific features from local municipalities' drainage models as shapefiles for use with Civil 3D, I should really develop a C++/Python plugin that lets me right click a .GDB or .MDB and export those shapefiles in place. #NoteToSelf

Cheers

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

I remember looking into qgis about 10 years ago when I had my own web server. I had an idea for a mapping site. I can't remember if I installed it or not. I went with MapGuide.

I wonder if such an exporter doesn't already exist? A quick search turned up an online service. Not quite what you were thinking of, but...

Login to Give a bone

I remember looking into qgis about 10 years ago when I had my own web server. I had an idea for a mapping site. I can't remember if I installed it or not. I went with MapGuide.

I wonder if such an exporter doesn't already exist? A quick search turned up an online service. Not quite what you were thinking of, but...
    No worries.

Only thought to ask, as there's real money to be saved if QGIS does meet the functionality needs for a given organization; I'm sure there are things ArcGIS does that QGIS may not, I just don't know what those are, and for what I need, it actually does it better than ArcGIS. Haha

As for the link - first, thanks for your continued effort to help, as always - I didn't mention it, but I had actually tried 2 or 3 different online GDB/MDB converters and none of them worked, either because there's a 1 GB limit (our municipality drainage models are larger; I actually tried that same site) or they just flat out failed to produce a usable output. *shrugs*

The converter I have in my head, would be paired with a Windows Shell (right click) Menu, that silently used QGIS to populate a list of Features contained within the GDB/MDB to a modal dialog, allowing user to make multiple Feature selections, and those would be programmatically exported to Shapefile to a user-specified folder (or located in-place, perhaps in a ..\shp\ sub-folder?).

All in all, just thankful I got QGIS working again!

Cheers

Computer Specs: