Thread: Enhanced Attribute Editor

Login to Give a bone

Default Enhanced Attribute Editor

Dear all,
    Please help me with this small problem.Plz have a look at my block, I want to edit att "b" but when I double-click into it, the enhanced att editor goes to "a". How can I double-click the ATT "b" and the enhanced att editor goes to "b" instead of "a" ?
    Many thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Enhanced Attribute Editor

It's due to the hatch background. For some reason double clicking on the B picks the hatch object instead of the B attrib. Thus it acts as if you double clicked on the block on some other place than on an attribute - i.e. the editor opens with the 1st attribute selected.

BTW, I'm not sure which AC version you have (as the DWG is a 2004 version), but if you have 2006 (I think) or later you can hold down Ctrl and then double click. This should open the attrib as if it's a normal piece of text - at least it works that way on my 2008 and 2011.

Login to Give a bone

Post Re: Enhanced Attribute Editor

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    It's due to the hatch background. For some reason double clicking on the B picks the hatch object instead of the B attrib. Thus it acts as if you double clicked on the block on some other place than on an attribute - i.e. the editor opens with the 1st attribute selected.

BTW, I'm not sure which AC version you have (as the DWG is a 2004 version), but if you have 2006 (I think) or later you can hold down Ctrl and then double click. This should open the attrib as if it's a normal piece of text - at least it works that way on my 2008 and 2011.
    thanks irneb so much, I use AC 2010 version, you way is very useful. Does It mean that we cannot solve this problem? I need this block work probably to use in a urban planning dwgs

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Unfortunately it seems to be a bug in AutoCAD. Usually the draw-order controls which nested object is picked first, but in this case it doesn't want to work. All I can think of to get it to function properly is to remove the hatch, or at least a portion of it behind the attribute. But I guess that's not what you'd want.

I know the following is a bit of a "swear-word" around here. But could you use a wipeout instead of a hatch? I use several of these on my drawings and they seem to work fine for me. Unless you need a specific colour for the background of the block a wipeout and a "white" hatch does much the same ... unfortunately there's some cases (like faulty PDFs) where the wipeout turns black.

Login to Give a bone

I've already used wipeout under the hatch. May be the easiest way is delete the hatch. thank you in advanced.

Login to Give a bone

Would putting the hatch on a locked layer solve this problem?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Opie View Post
    Would putting the hatch on a locked layer solve this problem?
    That might work! The reason behind this is that the hatch is actually formed of numerous 2d solids (in triangular shape). Thus if the cursor is over an edge of one of these it's as if you're double clicking on top of a line in the block. Usually with a hatch having a "curved" side(s) these triangles are extremely small and numerous, so it's near impossible for it not to happen. But just maybe the locked idea would suffice.

I just though of another work-around: Rather than making a hatch fill, create a square 2d Solid - larger than your block. Turn it into a block (by itself), then use the Express Tool --> Superhatch to have it xclipped to the shape of your block. This way you get a "hatch" without any of these triangles. Although you'd now have an extra block-name, and selecting it might show the original square - not perfect