See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Family creation issue

Login to Give a bone

Default Family creation issue

I created a basic joist hanger family, but Am having trouble adding the "height" label to the dimension. I get the "constraints not satisfied" error when I try to add it, but the family flexes with the reference plane the way it when I manually move it. I'm pretty new to family creation, so it could be a simple error I'm overlooking. I'll attach the file. Any help is appreciated. thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Family creation issue

What part do you want to be resized of the hanger? See, there is an easy way of doing it, and a harder way but it depends on what part you want moved. If you just want the top of the joist hanger moved it's easy, just lock the extrusion to the ref. plane. If you want the notches to move with it you need to make more ref. planes and lock the extrusion to each one and then dimension EQ them. Please let me know what you want to happen and I can do it for you.

Mario Vona

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mariovona View Post
    What part do you want to be resized of the hanger? See, there is an easy way of doing it, and a harder way but it depends on what part you want moved. If you just want the top of the joist hanger moved it's easy, just lock the extrusion to the ref. plane. If you want the notches to move with it you need to make more ref. planes and lock the extrusion to each one and then dimension EQ them. Please let me know what you want to happen and I can do it for you.

Mario Vona
    The easy way...I just want the top to move. It's already locked to the reference plane and moves with it the way I want it to, when moved manually. The problem I'm having is when I add a label to the dimension, I'm getting that constraints not satisfied error and it all of a sudden no longer works and it highlights the two reference planes that were previously working fine before the label was added. I'm really just want to know why it's happening and how to fix it so I can avoid a similar situation in the future.

Login to Give a bone

Done, what I did was I Dislocated the Constraint so it wasn't locked anymore. Then I edited the Extrusions and when you see the pink lines I locked each top line to the Reference Plane in each Extrusion. Done and Done. Attached File.

Mario Vona

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mariovona View Post
    Done, what I did was I Dislocated the Constraint so it wasn't locked anymore. Then I edited the Extrusions and when you see the pink lines I locked each top line to the Reference Plane in each Extrusion. Done and Done. Attached File.

Mario Vona
    Thank you very much!

Login to Give a bone

Perhaps you could help my with my next problem as well... now that it works in the family editor, I have created several types for the different hanger sizes, but when I load it into my project, and go to change the element type, no matter what type I pick the hanger remains the same size. If I manually change the #'s in the properties box, it will change, but all the predefined sizes I made won't change on their own. Can't seem to figure itout...

Login to Give a bone

All you do is change the Parameters(Length and Width) from Instance to Type and then it will work. Click on the Parameters and click on Modify, then where it says Instance, click on the Type Bullet and click okay. Do that with both Parameters. Try loading it into the project and it should work perfectly.

Mario Vona

Login to Give a bone

Perfect. Thanks!