Thread: more dimension woes

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default more dimension woes

I just don't understand RevIt's dimension functions; they need to do a lot of work in this area.

First, the "Entire Walls" option looks like a great idea and it could be really awesome, except 1) it dimensions the thickness of the walls (WHY? in all my 20+ years in architecture I have never seen anybody dimension this way; it is not an industry standard), 2) RevIt treats the dimensions as one object, so I can not delete the un-needed dimensions, 3) If this group of dimensions crosses a crop region in a dependent view they do not consistently display form one dependent view to the next.

Second, when you place dimensions in a continuous string, items 2 & 3 above are also true.

Item #2 is a huge pain in the butt. For example, if I have several windows mulled together and somebody dimensions to the center of each window and I I want them to only go to the center of the entire unit, they can't just delete a couple of dimensions and move the witness lines, they have to redo the entire string!

I hope that I'm missing something, cause I'm at the point of wanting to export my model to AutoCAD so I can dimension it properly!

tom

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: more dimension woes

Not sure if it helps in your case, but if you select the dimension that got too many points, then press the "Edit Witness Line" radio button above, you can go to those dimension points, and click on them, which will de-select those points.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasf View Post
    I just don't understand RevIt's dimension functions; they need to do a lot of work in this area.

First, the "Entire Walls" option looks like a great idea and it could be really awesome, except 1) it dimensions the thickness of the walls (WHY? in all my 20+ years in architecture I have never seen anybody dimension this way; it is not an industry standard), 2) RevIt treats the dimensions as one object, so I can not delete the un-needed dimensions, 3) If this group of dimensions crosses a crop region in a dependent view they do not consistently display form one dependent view to the next.

Second, when you place dimensions in a continuous string, items 2 & 3 above are also true.

Item #2 is a huge pain in the butt. For example, if I have several windows mulled together and somebody dimensions to the center of each window and I I want them to only go to the center of the entire unit, they can't just delete a couple of dimensions and move the witness lines, they have to redo the entire string!

I hope that I'm missing something, cause I'm at the point of wanting to export my model to AutoCAD so I can dimension it properly!

tom

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: more dimension woes

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but you can control whether 'Entire Walls' dimensions the intersecting wall thicknesses, by changing the 'Prefer' option on the Options Bar.

Change Prefer to Wall Centrelines or Core Centrelines, and you'll just get one reference per wall.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by thomasf View Post
    1) it dimensions the thickness of the walls