See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: CAD Standards Checklist

Login to Give a bone

Post CAD Standards Checklist

I'm in the process of developing a CAD standards checklist that user's can reference to make sure they conform to basic office CAD standards. I would also use this list as reference when reviewing projects before they go out the door.

Does anyone have a similar list they could share or any suggestions, additions, deletions to my list?

Here's my list so far:

1. Layers - name, color, linetype
    2. Styles - text, dimensions
    3. Symbols - sections, details, door, window, reference notes
    4. Typical project folder structure, file location
    5. File naming convention
    6. Xrefs

Thanks in advance,

Kerry

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: CAD Standards Checklist

It might sound bad/unnecessary, but, my standards packet focuses primarily on quality control. Using snaps to make sure intersections meet, blocks? make sure they're not 3d used in a 2d drawing... it also dictates the usage of model and paperspace (titleblocks and sheet-specific notes only, in paperspace).
    Quote Originally Posted by kknauss
    I'm in the process of developing a CAD standards checklist that user's can reference to make sure they conform to basic office CAD standards. I would also use this list as reference when reviewing projects before they go out the door.

Does anyone have a similar list they could share or any suggestions, additions, deletions to my list?

Here's my list so far:

1. Layers - name, color, linetype
    2. Styles - text, dimensions
    3. Symbols - sections, details, door, window, reference notes
    4. Typical project folder structure, file location
    5. File naming convention
    6. Xrefs

Thanks in advance,

Kerry
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CAD Standards Checklist

I'm getting around to trying the same idea. I like the idea of a "cheat sheet" that a user can reference during or at the end of a project to make sure (prior to me or someone else looking it over) that all the main bases are covered. We are Civil/Surveying but a few other items I was thinking of....

North arrow
    Vicinity map (and that it's correct)
    Consultant information on the title sheet (as needed)
    Legend (and make sure it covers everything in the drawing)
    No upside-down text
    Correct linetype scaling, etc.

So that's just some of what we deal with but I like where you're going with this. Good luck.

Login to Give a bone

The "Cheat Sheet" we have includes some others you have not shown.

• Area of Tract
    • Monuments Noted
    • Flood Zone Designation
    • Contours
    • Datum (Bench Mark)
    • Building Setbacks
    • Building Heights (if needed)
    • Building Dimensions w/ area
    • Zoning Designation
    • Municipal Address
    • Parking Spaces w/ no.
    • Origin of Bearings
    • Classification of Survey

Of course, these are for our boundary / topographic surveys.
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Our firm is organized a little differently. I fill the full-time CAD Manager position but we have a QC Manager as well, half-time. We work quite closely on many, many issues but try and make a distinction between QC and CAD when evaluating performance and projects. Insuring that Janey has a clue what exactly is contained in her detail or whether she checked the references for callout coordination leans to the QC side. Whether Johnny can get a decent plot because he made a mess of the plotstyles and linetypes and whether his walls print without the materials because his accuracy is sloppy and there are cleanup problems lean to CAD. Our QC Manager is more the checklist guy.

Strictly CAD, I have better luck with non-list approaches. We have a Standards manual available (and always current) through our intranet. Bookmarked and with internal links between sections. Staff is expected to read it, use it, check what they are doing and do it correctly. Enforcement follows a review process that includes a self-evaluation of personal CAD skills. Each staff member also submits their self-evaluation before semi-annual and annual reviews including a few drawings they think represent their skill set and general ability. I evaluate those drawings and include for the PM or primary reviewer as part of a full evaluation. Attached is a PDF of a form I have tested that seems to work. Also included is a clip of a section in the self-evaluation (which includes way more stuff than CAD). All open book on my part - no secret evaluations.

At studio director or PM request, I also do some intervention support particularly when a team is struggling or the project is hemorrhaging money.

Formal accountability is a little new to us (since I accepted the CAD Manager position, actually) but it seems to be making a difference. I'm still winging it and making things up as I go. Ask me again in 6 months.

Hope this is useful.
    PBR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files