Thread: Help with Inventor 9 (IPT and IDW)

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Help with Inventor 9 (IPT and IDW)

My sad tale of woe.

I’m kicking the tires on Autocad Inventor (version 9). Luckily, I have a friend with a copy and the price of gasoline is down. Right now I think that Inventor 9 is something designed by mean spirited people. If the current version (whatever it is) is built on the work in Version 9 then AutoCad has probably lost a potential sale. This version should be better if there were EIGHT previous versions!

I wanted to do something simple. After all I'm kicking the tires on my own time.

I thought I’d start by doing something relatively easy. So I went into the system, opened a new standard IPT and lo and behold there was a “sketch screen.” I quickly created a part and even added a few dimensions. It seemed pretty easy. Looking good!

I next took it and extruded it. Again, this seems simple. Fun!

Then I saved the part. (no extrusion. Just the sketch)

I wanted to print the drawing But what printed was lacking drawing information. Hmm I guess I need to crate it with “drawing information.”

So if I want print the part out as a drawing then start with a drawing. This is where I missed the sign over the door that said “Beware Ye who enter here.”

I opened up a standard drawing. IDW. Yep. I could now add drawing information. Certainly there must be a way to grab my previous work and bring it into this drawing. If there is it is a well kept secret. I don't think water-boarding should be a skill needed to use Inventor.

I can find no way to import my simple part (saved as an IPT into IDW).

I can find no way to convert an IPT file to any file that can be opened as an IDW.

I can find no way to import (copy and paste) the data from an open IPT file into an open IDW file.

I’ve tried enough search word combinations that the letters on my keyboard are worn away.

I’ve looked across the net for “experts” and see lots of horror stories about other conversion experiences.

I can't believe I'm the only person who might want to do this. Heck, sketch a part in the sketch mode and then take it into drawing should be something others might want to do.

I’m sure that someone can enlighten me so that I have to smack my forehead.

Right now I’m thinking that perhaps I need to look at Solidworks.

Oh my friend is passing by the room with a mean smile on his face. I suspect he knew I might not like AutoCad Inventor.

Seems to me that a program that creates one type of file should be able to use the same data in another part of the program.

Gazelder

(wishing I'd had a V-

Can anyone provide me with the Rosetta Stone needed for AutoCad Inventor 9???

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help with Inventor 9 (IPT and IDW)

I totally understand what you are going through. I have been working on 3D modeling software since the mid 90's & have to interact with customers, engineers and venders on a daily basis. I have used Mastercam for modeling, CadKey, Solidworks & AutoCad. Of all the thousands of files I import every year that I have to work with from customers around the world, the only ones I have trouble with are ones created using Autodesk products! It has become a bit of a joke because every time we have trouble converting bad files, we guess as to what system created the file in the first place. I am right 99% of the time. I have discussed this countless time with Autodesk & have been told more than once that they are not about to change & it is my fault that I am using software that can't convert their files. Quite an arrogant response when you consider that we are in a global economy & compatability is everything! I don't want to be begging other manufacturers to take my files. I want them to be glad to accept my files. Time is money & they can't afford to waste time on fighting with files that won't convert. If you were smart, you bought ANY system, but Inventor!!!

AUGI Addict
    (getpoint "Anywhere on the Enter Key =>")
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help with Inventor 9 (IPT and IDW)

Quote Originally Posted by gazelderl View Post
    My sad tale of woe.

I’m kicking the tires on Autocad Inventor (version 9). Luckily, I have a friend with a copy and the price of gasoline is down. Right now I think that Inventor 9 is something designed by mean spirited people. If the current version (whatever it is) is built on the work in Version 9 then AutoCad has probably lost a potential sale. This version should be better if there were EIGHT previous versions!

I wanted to do something simple. After all I'm kicking the tires on my own time.

I thought I’d start by doing something relatively easy. So I went into the system, opened a new standard IPT and lo and behold there was a “sketch screen.” I quickly created a part and even added a few dimensions. It seemed pretty easy. Looking good!

I next took it and extruded it. Again, this seems simple. Fun!

Then I saved the part. (no extrusion. Just the sketch)

I wanted to print the drawing But what printed was lacking drawing information. Hmm I guess I need to crate it with “drawing information.”

So if I want print the part out as a drawing then start with a drawing. This is where I missed the sign over the door that said “Beware Ye who enter here.”

I opened up a standard drawing. IDW. Yep. I could now add drawing information. Certainly there must be a way to grab my previous work and bring it into this drawing. If there is it is a well kept secret. I don't think water-boarding should be a skill needed to use Inventor.

I can find no way to import my simple part (saved as an IPT into IDW).
    I can find no way to convert an IPT file to any file that can be opened as an IDW.

I can find no way to import (copy and paste) the data from an open IPT file into an open IDW file.

I’ve tried enough search word combinations that the letters on my keyboard are worn away.

I’ve looked across the net for “experts” and see lots of horror stories about other conversion experiences.

I can't believe I'm the only person who might want to do this. Heck, sketch a part in the sketch mode and then take it into drawing should be something others might want to do.

I’m sure that someone can enlighten me so that I have to smack my forehead.

Right now I’m thinking that perhaps I need to look at Solidworks.

Oh my friend is passing by the room with a mean smile on his face. I suspect he knew I might not like AutoCad Inventor.

Seems to me that a program that creates one type of file should be able to use the same data in another part of the program.

Gazelder

(wishing I'd had a V-

Can anyone provide me with the Rosetta Stone needed for AutoCad Inventor 9???
    The 1st thing is to clarify your vertion of inventor.
    Is it Inventor 9 or Inventor 2009?
    Because Inventor 9 is an ancient version and there are now not many people using it, I believe.
    And the answer to one of your questions is there is a buttom to create a drawing view on the idw file.
    See the attached screenshot.
    I don't like Inventor either but it can't be learned anyway.
    Create Drawing Views.png