See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotate Viewport

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rotate Viewport

to answer the original question as an update. If you are on subscription, you have access to the 2009 bonus tools, and included among those few tools you will find that you can now rotate a viewport, and it will twist the ucs along with the new orientation of the viewport.

Login to Give a bone

Sorry I didn't specify. I use LDD 2007 and Map 2007 sorry we're not to the 3D stage yet. but i have been working with Arch GIs and that is a whole different ball game. anyway i have worked with Microstation but Caltrans rotats the objects with no coordinate system so i havn't had to worry about that with Microstation yet. but like i said if you know what your doing it's not a problem. like everything else there are rules to follow.
    Last edited by LaDonna Hulcy; 2008-11-14 at 11:34 PM.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ccowgill View Post
    to answer the original question as an update. If you are on subscription, you have access to the 2009 bonus tools, and included among those few tools you will find that you can now rotate a viewport, and it will twist the ucs along with the new orientation of the viewport.
    Not available to us Map verticle users, just Vanilla 2009. Heard great things though.

Quote Originally Posted by lhulcy View Post
    Sorry I didn't specify. I use LDD 2007 and Map 2007 sorry we're not to the 3D stage yet. but i have been working with Arch GIs and that is a whole different ball game. anyway i have worked with Microstation but Caltrans rotats the objects with no coordinate system so i havn't had to worry about that with Microstation yet. but like i said if you know what your doing it's not a problem. like everything else there are rules to follow.
    For Arch drawing yours is standard practice, Civil drawing rely almost solely on coordinates requiring a different approach. In many instances strict adherence to State Plane Coordinates are a requirement, but rules and regulations vary by state, county, etc...

Sadly California's D.O.T. like most still uses Microstation. Coordinates are stored outside the drawing in COGO software. There is hope though, Florida's D.O.T. is now accepting AutoCAD Civil based drawings for the first time. The newer versions of Microstation can use viewports somewhat and someday maybe it will be able to produce drawings with survey accurate coordinates, lengths, angles, etc...

Certifiable AUGI Addict ccowgill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    Not available to us Map verticle users, just Vanilla 2009. Heard great things though.
    yeah, I forgot about that, it is not available to the vertical apps, neither are the new pdf tools that were introduced to vanilla subscription users.

Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: Rotate Viewport

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post

For Arch drawing yours is standard practice, Civil drawing rely almost solely on coordinates requiring a different approach. In many instances strict adherence to State Plane Coordinates are a requirement, but rules and regulations vary by state, county, etc...

Sadly California's D.O.T. like most still uses Microstation. Coordinates are stored outside the drawing in COGO software. There is hope though, Florida's D.O.T. is now accepting AutoCAD Civil based drawings for the first time. The newer versions of Microstation can use viewports somewhat and someday maybe it will be able to produce drawings with survey accurate coordinates, lengths, angles, etc...
    Sorry Tom I do not work in Arch. never have never will, I don't like it. and yes we use state plane coordinate system accually AutoCAd is a great tool for translating Coordinates from one to another say nad 27 to state plane but that's another thread. anyway i think i know what all of the fuss is about i'm talking about using ucs "object" not ucs "move" they are two diffent things. you might want to check out the way it works before you decide you don't like it. like i said i have worked in civil using LDD and MAP for over ten years and for a couple diferent companies and i never had a problem using ucs for views. check it out! you might be suprised. have a happy thanksgiving

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    What our company does is the Architectural and Structural (P,E & M) drawings are done using a standard setup, usually the lower left hand corner of the foundation or column grid is on 0,0,0. All the plans are in the same coordinates so they stack on top of each other. Then if the civil team needs the building footprint or something, they xref and rotate the plans into their civil plans for their use. Usually scaled down to 1/12 for decimal units.

Sure would have been nice if someone would have told this "Architect" that we are doing a job for about setting the Origin. His/her drawing Origin Point was set to X = -1446' 7 1/2" Y = - 2329' 0 5/8" Z = 0....with those numbers, I was wondering why everything was so slow until I learned to check the Status and found I was well over the Limits of the drawing. Sheesh.

I draw the M & P in MEP and use 3D throughout the drawings. One way I found to rotate the View is to use constrained orbit, and while holding the Shift key, rotate the view by staying outside of the Orbit Circle. It's not as accurate as using the UCS,3 or Object commands but handy for a quick view rotation without having to remember all of the different commands. Also, it only works in Model Space, not Paper Space unfortunately.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kane333 View Post
    I draw the M & P in MEP and use 3D throughout the drawings. One way I found to rotate the View is to use constrained orbit, and while holding the Shift key, rotate the view by staying outside of the Orbit Circle. It's not as accurate as using the UCS,3 or Object commands but handy for a quick view rotation without having to remember all of the different commands. Also, it only works in Model Space, not Paper Space unfortunately.
    Then use VPoint to see the view direction given in numbers and set them to sensible values.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

One problem I find with some of the methods like Dview and MVSetup is that after making the changes to the view, Autocad likes to Zoom to Extents. On a drawing where my limits are thousands of feet apart, it takes me a bit to Zoom back to the original point I was working on using normal Zoom, especially on a large file with thousands of 3D entities. Again, while in Constrained Orbit, I find that the Zoom function is much faster than normal Pan and Zoom. I guess what I'm trying to hint at is, I hope they never get rid of Constrained Orbit. It's one of my favorite functions next to UNDO

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kane333 View Post
    One problem I find with some of the methods like Dview and MVSetup is that after making the changes to the view, Autocad likes to Zoom to Extents. On a drawing where my limits are thousands of feet apart, it takes me a bit to Zoom back to the original point I was working on using normal Zoom, especially on a large file with thousands of 3D entities. Again, while in Constrained Orbit, I find that the Zoom function is much faster than normal Pan and Zoom. I guess what I'm trying to hint at is, I hope they never get rid of Constrained Orbit. It's one of my favorite functions next to UNDO
    Check to see if you have UCSFOLLOW turned off.

Login to Give a bone

In AutoCAD 2010 you can use the normal rotate command on a viewport. It will automatically rotate the view with it.

The setting that controls this is VPROTATEASSOC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast