Thread: Individual Station Workspaces

Login to Give a bone

Default Individual Station Workspaces

I have just finished reading the "Notes on Philosophy of CUI" and have a few questions (since I am fairly new to anything beyond Customization 101). Instead of peppering you with all the questions all at once, maybe I will just shoot them one at a time and see if I can work through others as I get answers. So here is the first one:

If I set up our CAD network as proposed in the sticky (i.e. Custom.cui as the main and Company.cui as the enterprise, is it possible to then have custom workspaces that are tailored to the individual, rather than to the disciplines. If so, can they edit the toolbars and buttons which they want? Also,m if this is possible, can this configuration be setup so that the users will have right access to their own workspace but not to the others? I am running a network version of AutoCAD 2010. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Individual Station Workspaces

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin.Baker View Post
    I have just finished reading the "Notes on Philosophy of CUI" and have a few questions (since I am fairly new to anything beyond Customization 101). Instead of peppering you with all the questions all at once, maybe I will just shoot them one at a time and see if I can work through others as I get answers. So here is the first one:

If I set up our CAD network as proposed in the sticky (i.e. Custom.cui as the main and Company.cui as the enterprise, is it possible to then have custom workspaces that are tailored to the individual, rather than to the disciplines. If so, can they edit the toolbars and buttons which they want? Also,m if this is possible, can this configuration be setup so that the users will have right access to their own workspace but not to the others? I am running a network version of AutoCAD 2010. Thanks.
    Please note that I changed the recommendation for the main CUIx to be a blank file named whatever you want (I use "User") but I'd stay away from "Custom" to avoid confusion with the OOTB "Custom.cuix".

Yes, one of the primary reasons to give the user their own main CUIx file is so they can create their own worspaces.

If they want to edit toolbars, they would transfer the toolbar into their main CUIx and alter as they see fit. (However, you lose control of corporate items at that point.)

The "rights" are implicit. The main CUIx file for the user should be located in the user's network folders (so it can follow the user) and the enterprise CUIx files (with their workspaces) are read-only to the user inside the CUI editor. The enterprise CUIx files should be located in a read-only network location (to the user). The core CUIx files can remain on the local workstations since the enterprise CUIx won't store the paths to the partial files when they are on AutoCAD's support path.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.