Thread: Installed 2018 C3D, disabled plot dialog in LDT

Login to Give a bone

Default Installed 2018 C3D, disabled plot dialog in LDT

We are still doing the bulk of our work in 2009 LDT and Map, but our C3D training classes start 10/29.
    So our IT leader installed 2018 C3D on all of our workstations.

Now, when any of us goes to plot via the plot dialog, we are instantly kicked out of ACAD. Boom, Poof! You're Out!

We can plot via the command line, which is an extremely frustrating task (did we really used to do it that way, like back in R10? Wow.).

Well, old habits and all, if you hit the plot icon, you're kicked. Oh Oops! Hope you saved. I've done it twice so far today...

Our IT girl has tried everything, even her contacts at Autodesk can't figure it out.

Any ideas what might be causing this? It's awful.

Thanks for listening,

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Installed 2018 C3D, disabled plot dialog in LDT

We've had similar issues when upgrading just one version before. When a newer version is designed to work with a newer version of DirectX than you have installed it will be upgraded when Civil 3D is installed. Old version would work except a few things like the Plot dialog. Curious after all these years why not simply upgrade to the current 2019 version? I don't imagine the learning curve would be much different.

Hard to imagine upgrading even one version without having one or two users try it out first. Civil 3D is night and day different than LDD and considerable effort will be needed to set up all the styles and labels. Having one or two users working on setting it up to where it can reduce field work, create surfaces, and have company sheet layouts set up for Plan & Profile and Cross Section in whatever plot sizes you use until they're ready to produce work with it would make more sense.

Good Luck,

Login to Give a bone

Tom, we did exactly as you describe.
    We have had our survey department working in it for a while now, ironing out the issues. A few minor projects have been done in it already.
    Now the time has come for the whole company to do the mass migration. It has been installed on all CAD machines.
    She has been trying to fix this plotting issue for a while now with no success. I thought I'd post up and see what I could find.
    Thanks.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

.NET Framework Version 4.6 is also required for Civil 3D 2018, LDD probably requires and older version. Civil 3D 2018 being a 64 bit program and LDD being 32 bit doesn't make it any easier.

I'm not a IT person, but with both installed I'm impressed she got LDD working as well as she has.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    ....with both installed I'm impressed she got LDD working as well as she has.
    Hahaha....she will be appreciative of that comment. And yes, we are still productive with both installed.
    Survey just informed me of an additional issue the C3D install created in LDT, they can not "Export a surface" (land XML). It crashes instantly.

Login to Give a bone

I'd seriously consider new machines for the new software.... mixing and matching old and new seems to guarantee you'll keep having random (expensive) crashes