Thread: crossing wires

Login to Give a bone

Default crossing wires

I just now start to circuit my light fixtures and it seems like the wires are crossing all over the place. When working in autoCAD, I usually trim one of the crossing wire to leave a gap so that it is clear which wire goes which direction. What is the best solution in Revit to make the drawing look clean? Thanks.

I could stop if I wanted to dmb.100468's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: crossing wires

In Revit MEP the wires will "break" automatically. Go to the Settings menu and select Electrical Settings, there you can set the size of the gap created when wires cross.

In your plan view, make sure that you are in Hidden Line mode, and that you have not activated the Thin Lines toggle. You should see a gap wherever wires are crossing.

You can pick on any wire and move it to the front or back with the buttons that appear on the Options bar to adjust which wire breaks and which doesn't.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dmb.100468 View Post
    In Revit MEP the wires will "break" automatically. Go to the Settings menu and select Electrical Settings, there you can set the size of the gap created when wires cross.

In your plan view, make sure that you are in Hidden Line mode, and that you have not activated the Thin Lines toggle. You should see a gap wherever wires are crossing.

You can pick on any wire and move it to the front or back with the buttons that appear on the Options bar to adjust which wire breaks and which doesn't.
    Thanks! I didn't know.

Login to Give a bone

Actually, what do you mean by "make sure that you have not activated the thin lines toggle"? I somehow saw the line breaks and now I dont and I don't know what I did wrong.

Login to Give a bone

This button (see attached) is a toggle that turns all the lines to the same, thin line thickness. It can be very helpful for seeing things in greater detail, but when the toggle is activated the line breaks are not visible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

This button (see attached) is a toggle that turns all the lines to the same, thin line thickness. It can be very helpful for seeing things in greater detail, but when the toggle is activated the line breaks are not visible.
    Got it, thanks!

Login to Give a bone

I use the thin line toggle and it works for awhile. Not it doesn't break the wire again and I don't know what else to do. What do you mean I need to be in the hidden line mode? Thanks.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

hidden line mode is the appearance type. Sorry i don't have a screen shot to show you but i will try to describe where it is. On the bottom of your view window where the lightbulb, your detail settings, etc... there is a cube box if you click on it you get 4 different types of appearances. Wireframe, hidden line, shaded, and shaded w/ edges. And I believe said to make sure you were not using the thin line toggle so i would make sure that is off also.

Login to Give a bone

Here is a screen capture of the View Settings toolbar, where you can set your view to Hidden line mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

you also need to be in electrical discipline.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD